Sign in to follow this  
CassieBee

Back Bend Support

I've just received the new revised stretching and flexibility book, which I think is amazing. When looking at the back bends, a support/ gymnastic vault/ half cylinder is being used. Is it possible to purchased something similar? Or do you have any instructions about a DIY project? I use a buckwheat bolster at the moment but that just doesn't cut it, and neither will a large swill ball as it's unstable. Pease help!!

A hardly folded up towel on a bench on a sturdy chair or bench could be a improvization. I have used a DIY foam roller (drainpipe + duct tape) secured in a thick blanket or mattress so it does not slip. I do think that is possible to make a make shift implement that can do the job in almost all situations - that is not to deny the pleasure of having a custom made tool, that looks good and does the job 100%.

An ugly but effective solution could be a heavy duty drain pipe bolted to a sturdy piece of wood.

From what I have seen it does not seem like a DIY project beyond the scope of the happy amateur (I could easily foresee myself making one in the future). But, it will take quite some time if it has to look proper ie. sanding, oiling etc.