Master Shoulder Flexibility: LIVE TODAY

The bands are just normal gym resistance bands (heavier than the light rehab thera-band) for example http://www.rogueeuro...onster-bands-eu I would get approximately 10mm(x2), 30mm and maybe 50mm to have a versatile selection.

A couple of varying lengths of wooden dowel or pvc pipe is used for rotation and self massage. Otherwise ideally access to stall bars and hanging rings, but otherwise you can improvise eg with a door frame.

Yeah, I have a PVC pipe and a wooden rodel, as well as wooden rings. I don't have a stall bar, I should have, for Foundation work, but I manage . I also don't have a rubber cord nor the resistante bands (yuri?). Can resistance bands replace rubber cords?

Rogue's website is expensive for me, can I find alternatives on Amazon UK or Ebay?

Also, about the bands sizes on rogue's website in milimiters, is this correct?

10mm = #2 RF Blue Band

30mm = #3 RF Green Band

50mm = #4 RF Black Band

Yes Rogue is expensive and yes an alternative on amazon or ebay will be totally fine for personal use. Rubber cords will be great, maybe better even for the rotator cuff work L2, you really only need a fairly small amount of resistance for these. For the Yuri Sequence with bands, you want way more tension than the cords can give you, the aim is to have enough to move the joint out of its normal position (distraction).

Yes Rogue is expensive and yes an alternative on amazon or ebay will be totally fine for personal use. Rubber cords will be great, maybe better even for the rotator cuff work L2, you really only need a fairly small amount of resistance for these. For the Yuri Sequence with bands, you want way more tension than the cords can give you, the aim is to have enough to move the joint out of its normal position (distraction).

Thanks, I'll be ordering a couple of resistance bands and rubber cords.

@ Joachim (missed this one, somehow); you wrote:

What do we think about Cuban Rotations on this forum?

Good, if they don't hurt your shoulders. Personally, I find it easier to get the desired ROM that these are designed to help (external rotation of arm in shoulder joint) with other exercises; many have been mentioned here already) and strengthening in the anatomical position (these are shown in MSF). Reason is that strengthening exercises done in the position Emmet demonstrates in his YT video (I will link below) has a higher risk of hurting the anterior capsule of the shoulder, and if long head of biceps is a problem for you, it will be painful to do, too.

So, great if no pain; if pain, follow the roundabout path I outline.

• 1 month later...

Hi there! I have a question...When I'm doing the "Cat pose", If I exceed 180 ° on flexion of shoulder, I feel a sharp pain on left lateral shoulder, not a "stretch" pain , is different...the same problem I feel when try to stretch left triceps , with flexion of shoulder and bending elbow....any advice? Thank you

• 3 months later...

I am working on my shoulder flexibility using the Mastering series - I like the Pec minor stretch with the pole but most of the time I don't have a partner handy to do this - is there another really effective way of stretching the pec minor specifically?

Three options come to mind for me presently:

1. Lying pec stretch. From memory it is covered in Stretching & Flexibility.

2. German Hang & Skin The Cat. There is obviously a strength element to this as well, the utility of the movements depend on having some basic strength and access to a set of gymnastic rings. Can be done with a self spot (feet on the floor) taking as much of the body weight of the movement as needed, while gaining proficiency with the movement.

3. Dave put up an alternate version which you may care to try, requires a band as well. The Kebab.

Thanks Frederik that's really helpful - I do the lying stretch from the shoulder series but the Kebab definitely looks doable - I could use a strap and stick off my wallbars. 

The forward facing part of the Uri band sequence also allows you to access the pec nicely; play with different torso angles and band heights. I found useful to getting used to rotating the shoulder into the right position for the other stretches.  Use the same cues as the stick stretch contract forward, reach back.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Had a couple of questions about Yuri band sequence and I guess stretching in general.

when I'm doing the last sequence in the video where you are externally and internally rotating the shoulder should I be depressing the shoulder first before I start doing this movement? I've been getting some crackling in my collar bone and a bit of soreness in my trap/ neck. This movement has helped my anterior shoulder pain but the pain seems to have moved now. If I depress I can't seem to internally rotate/ protract my shoulder as much. Maybe this is a good thing???

Also during the sequence where I reach up and behind the back with the band the front of my shoulder and bicep really tighten up. Almost a little painful if I push it too far. Should I be stretching into the tightness and then back off or should I never go into that position? I guess this replies to all stretches in general. Thanks for any help

Phil

• 9 months later...

Hi, looking for someone's opinion on the pec stretch E2.

I definately get an intense stretch but when my fingers are extended my whole hand tingles which goes away once a clench my fist. I also get a bit of elbow pain on my right arm when doing this. On that same side the stretch is less intense.

Hi Ronan, This part of the stretch brings in a neural dimension, where your ulnar, radial and medial nerves are forced to glide and stretch a few mm versus the surrounding tissues. This can lead to the tingling etc. from finger tips right up to their spinal attachments. Elbow is a classic pinch point. Go gently and only do 3-5 per session.

• Like 1