I lately feel a big soreness WHEN stretching side splits.

Its on the outside and sideways of the leg,upper part, just under a round bone surface.Possible name is iliotibial tract.

I feel its a new sensation because before i felt the limitation more on the inside/adductors, upper part of inside leg. But now i feel the limitation shifted.

Any thoughts?

10517319_10154306068630153_2416659822926820944_o.jpg?oh=b3e17603a0da74413bdbedf87d63606d&oe=53B925A0&__gda__=1404605523_622457a0fd5a4d61a56110851109bde9

I have a similar experience, currently when doing isometric side split stretching. It tends to be worst in the first sets and then fade/ disappear in the later sets. For me it is unilateral (right hip).

My guess/ hunch so far has been that it is TFL (tensor fascia latae) ie. the muscle that connects to the tractus ilio-tibialis. (ilio-tibial band)

Are you experiencing it as a feeling that is static, increasing or decreasing? - I have been ignoring it since it does not get worse during the stretching.

regards,

Frederik

A quick reply now; will develop more if there's a need. That pain is compression of tissues between the greater trochanter and the Ilium (literally, the external rotators and other muscles need to be soft enough to move out of the way). As well, the gluteals (min. and med., in this case) are probably spasming, trying t help you get the legs further apart.

Solution? Turnout. Come up a bit from that excellent position, and externally rotate both legs and feet until the toes point (ideally) slightly behind the leg, then lower once more. Now it will be felt in the hamstrings as well, and no strain on the knee. Once my legs are 'turned out', I get at least 3-4" lower. It's all to do with the structure go the hip joint itself. There's more, but that's enough for now.

• Like 1

That pain is compression of tissues between the greater trochanter and the Ilium (literally, the external rotators and other muscles need to be soft enough to move out of the way). As well, the gluteals (min. and med., in this case) are probably spasming, trying t help you get the legs further apart.

That sounds beautiful, i never knew i had so many friends helping me :lol:

I am not sure i understood well the external rotation. Is it like on that photo below?

I often took myself pics doing that before because i could go a bit lower and i felt happier. But isnt that cheating?

I dont mind the soreness, i just wonder if im doing something wrong or dangerous, or if there is some more effective method on that stage.

I appreciate the feedback, i ll switch to this side split stretching version now, if thats the one.

10535635_10154308992035153_5101401152138147175_o.jpg?oh=da55fe5034215b8f7aecb46a1e97f941&oe=53BA1119&__gda__=1404729718_a4591ed05a37556dc8dba7376160ddf0

@Kit,

If my memory serves me right I think Kurz talks about a proper sequence when doing a stretching routine. I think he talked about doing adductor (ie. tailor pose) stretching before other lower body stretches. (But I would have to look it up.)

I have been thinking about which stretches to do on specific days. In this context piriformis it seems that the adductor and pancake stretches, should be paired with the piriformis. (Pike & Hip Flexion the other major pair).

I played some more with it. I dont get the previous soreness with that method. Also i tried on the wall and i get a sensation/pain/weakness on the inside/adductors near the hip joint which is new and wonferfully painful.

Here is another picture. I feel like a cheater, it makes it look like im kinda near it. :mellow:

This position is very tricky to balance for loaded stretching though.

10369034_10154309553275153_7062934542153864126_o.jpg?oh=109faa5bb8e8866145fc3ae5180645d6&oe=53BA5783&__gda__=1404708652_b7253fe8fdd1ceebdee02ed7fc4788e9

Edit:One more angle, similar to the first one, for better comparison

10479146_10154309642635153_1493599568472836641_o.jpg?oh=16ddb94648399c78c1325fd49401c883&oe=53B9F9B9&__gda__=1404733770_91625c1e1b0937f2d710eb62893acfed

It is tricky to balance in that position. I always rest on my hands, like you are doing in the image where you are stretching outside.

Re. weighted stretching: your own weight should be enough in this one, I believe. I do have some weighted stretches for the Master the Pancake program (and the Pike, too). They work well.

Feet up side splits is definitely not cheating; this is the way dancers do it (in addition to the version you shows first, which we call feet flat). The latter version is more popular in the partial arts world, but mastering either one will help the other.

For men, the feet up version seems to get them down the fastest. Contractions are two: try to pull the heels together, in the plane of the body (so straight down onto the floor) and try to slide the feet together in front of you against resistance (like a wall; you have to be facing the wall). The book Stretching & Flexibility offers a number of ways to do this.

I will be making that book available as Print on Demand as well as in .PDF format, too, very soon; working on the cover and the final proofing now.

The latter version is more popular in the partial arts world, but mastering either one will help the other.

hee hee hee

Also, re: pinching on the outside hip, I can offer two recommendations:

1) stretch the muscles that are pinching. The softer the external rotators are, the more easily they will move out of the way.

2) this movement is the fastest move for me for removing the pinching sensation. daily practice and now the pinching disappears much more quickly:

for the movement mentioned in point 2, you can also creep the heel of each foot out between reps, slowly getting lower and lower. eventually you can do this movement in a split that is supported just off the ground :D

@ Giotrismegistos - Looking good! :) Looks like you have worked through the issue somewhat.. I would hit TFL & Post fibres of glute medius with a ball prior to side splits. Also, work in the Advanced Piriformis or other good external rotators stretch (as Frederik said - they are an essential pairing). The sequence I use myself is: TFL & Glute med with Ball --> Side Splits I --> Advanced Piriformis or the modified Floor Piriformis (see my Autumn Training log) --> Side Splits II (Second, longer attempt) --> sometimes Side Splits III after a break of about 7-8 minutes (which I normally work general movement prep as a light level or roll my back with a ball).

• 2 weeks later...

this is a 2014 goal for me now...I'm now 25 cm from the floor.

BTW I can't see the pics above...

I will post a video in my training log sometime this week of my progress.

I only know the height as I was using a kettle bell as weight at the start of my last session...put it down and then promptly had ball touch down on the handle.

• 2 years later...

Hi, wondering is there any benefit to training/mastering front splits before... tackling side splits?

My goals:
1.) full frontal splits (hips squared)
2.) back bend
3.) side splits

I've bought the Master the programs: Pike, backbend and pancake.

Many thanks

8 hours ago, JediValley said:

Hi, wondering is there any benefit to training/mastering front splits before... tackling side splits?

My goals:
1.) full frontal splits (hips squared)
2.) back bend
3.) side splits

I've bought the Master the programs: Pike, backbend and pancake.

Many thanks

There's none, train them all at the same time.

I generally split training front splits and bridge one day, side splits and pancake on another day.