Sign in to follow this  
Tris

Great Insight While Stretching

This morning I was using lateral flexion to stretch my upper trapezius (like every morning, at the moment). I am really focusing on this area, as it tends to be where I store stress. In fact, pain/tightness in the back of the neck tends to be the first conscious sign I am stressed. (Side note: maybe it's an evolutionary impulse to shrug and protect the neck, I'm not sure.) I also really struggle having my neck touched, as it feels too intrusive and I shudder away.

Anyway, I was stretching the upper line, and it just sucked. My entire neck and head throbbed uncomfortably, similar to a migraine. Everything in my nervous system just wanted me to stop. I breathed "into" the tight line, and told myself, "It's okay, you're just opening your neck to the air. Just let it, there is no danger here." Immediately, my nervous system settled down; no aggravation, no pain, just the very tolerable feeling of tightness as I continued to stretch the line. Seconds later, I felt the line relax and new ROM was achieved.

I said to myself, "Ah, now that I released the emotional part of this, the physical could let go, too." I paused for a moment and realized what I said to myself. For a long time I've intellectually understood the kinesiology that links the physical and emotional in the human body. But it was so nice to experience this link so clearly, and as a result I feel like I have a much deeper understanding and appreciation of how emotional tension manifests in the body.

It has also got me more and more passionate about the therapeutic effect of stretching. Kit recently mentioned our flexibility profile is made up of our sense of "self", physical structure, emotional patterns, beliefs etc. I came to ST wanting splits, but I'm discovering how it can release restrictions in the sense of self and profoundly change you as a person - on all levels.

Thanks for the neck routine, Kit! It's doing wonders for my presence and ability to be powerfully vulnerable.

Great insight during stretching: I was deep within a psoas stretch when I realized "that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." . 'Twas quite a stretch!

On a more serious note, that is very cool Tris! I remember the first time Inhad this happen, too...changes one's perspective on things (the experience, not necessarily the intellectual knowing).

It's amazing isn't it when you get to that point. I had a similar experience with the squashed frog recently. Trying to realise these things on your own can take a long time but a few prompts can make a big difference (MTS video). I had such a smile on my face when this happened :)

I know you all know this, but there is no difference in these aspects: your emotional self is your patterns of held tension, the parts you can't let go of voluntarily; the exact, and individual, way the body reforms itself when you hold a baby and look at it. All of it.

Tris wrote:

For a long time I've intellectually understood the kinesiology that links the physical and emotional in the human body. But it was so nice to experience this link so clearly, and as a result I feel like I have a much deeper understanding and appreciation of how emotional tension manifests in the body.

there is a profound difference between 'understanding' (intellectually) and experiencing (real 'knowing'). The door opens.

I think there is a good reason this concept is opening of the Dao De Jing. For those of you who haven't read it:

"The Dao* that can be told is not the eternal Dao.

The name that can be named is not the eternal name."

*Dao means path or road.

The implication here is that no amount of "telling" of anything can compare to the actual doing of said thing. The Dao cannot be told but it can be experienced. You can't tell a blind person what it's like to see, you can't tell a deaf person what it's like to hear, you can't tell an inflexible person what it's like to be flexible, at least not in any meaningful (eternal) way. Direct experience is the core of all learning

The Chinese passage also comes with a hint of "stop talking about the practice and actually do the practice".

Nice work with this Tris, exciting stuff.

I had some really nice reverie doing cat/cow (actually 'disco cat' which is just a free form cat/cow in all directions) yesterday after some deep tailor pose work. Opening up my groin/pelvis etc is awesome on a few different levels for me ;), unsuprisingly if I think about it, but to experience it - great. B)

You should have a quota of 1 Dao De Jing quote per month, Mountain Hammer!

1 per month is a bit stingy!! Should be at least 1/week.

I know it's linked already above, but Dave's piece is so good I thought nothing less then the full URL to this blog piece would do:

http://physicalalche...ting-go-in.html

Sorry I have not been around much lately, but within a week or so you'll all know why! Great post Dave.

@ AndrewL & MH: one's quoting of the DDJ is inversely proportional to one's ability bring alive its principles in action.

@ K - Thanks Maaaaan!

And thanks again to Tris, who's post reminded me to write this up!

Sorry I have not been around much lately, but within a week or so you'll all know why!

Now you are forgiven. :P

Dave, really enjoyed your post as well, Kit does have some magical partner hipflexor powers, it seems.

@ AndrewL & MH: one's quoting of the DDJ is inversely proportional to one's ability bring alive its principles in action.

I used my favourite method of reading - open to random page.

TWENTY-THREE

To talk little is natural.

High winds do not last all morning.

Heavy rain does not last all day.

Why is this? Heaven and earth!

If heaven and earth cannot make things eternal,

How is it possible for man?

He who follows the Tao

Is at one with the Tao.

He who is virtuous

Experiences Virtue.

He who loses the way

Feels lost.

When you are at one with the Tao,

The Tao welcomes you.

When you are at one with Virtue,

The Virtue is always there.

When you are at one with loss,

The loss is experienced willingly.

He who does not trust enough

Will not be trusted.

Two quotes in one thread :P, just for the sake of breaking (/confirming) rules.

Kit does have some magical partner hip flexor powers, it seems.

Perhaps his gluteal shape conforms to some hitherto unknown geometric principle, providing it with maximum fulcruming capacity on the recipients hip flexor..! I smell a PhD topic!

Dave, really enjoyed your post as well, Kit does have some magical partner hipflexor powers, it seems.

Perhaps this is something to do with Kit's (or whoever is applying the assistance) emotional profile. My remedial massage course years ago talked about the non-physical, emotional effect that you can have on your patient. In the sense that your emotional state can calm the person psychic-ally along with your hands calming the person manually.

Perhaps there's a loop of synergy. Person A stretches; Person A releases emotional restrictions and has more presence, relaxation, tao (whatever you want to call that... "it"); therefore, Person A has a calming effect on Person B's muscles just through the psychic effect of presence and attention.

I hope there is an element of this, because it's very cool.

Tris, that's what I believe is happening, too. It is very cool. More to come on this, for sure.