Protocols: The book I have is THIS. I want to actually talk with some people who have done this type of thing, and would rather work along side someone masterful in such things.

General: one Ayuvedic text I like is The Yoga of Herbs which Kit put me on to. Kerry Bone does good pharmaceutical interactions texts; I had one of his textbooks for a while, but sold it. I am just a dabbler, someone with specific knowledges could advise on others.

For blood work:

You can ask your doctor...they will have to request each test individually...but they'll have a good idea of what to look for...

if they don't? Get a new GP!

Ask for general health testing: lipids, hepatic function, hormones.

And ensure they include the common weak links most athletes should test for:

RBC zinc, vitamin D, RBC Magnesium, C-reactive protein, and Hemoglobin A1C

If interested you can also get you DNA tested privately...Medicare won't cover this one.

Once You've got the raw genetic data...you can run it through http://livewello.com/ to spot any mutations.

Thanks Adam that's real handy. I'll make an appointment with a GP next week for it.

@Craig that's a really interesting post - thanks. It's really got me thinking about the whole veganism thing.

If you guys are going to do blood tests.

My advice is to take 4 weeks off any supplements are are currently on....then get the blood tests

then you can tell if your base diet needs supplementing...rather then knowing your getting enough of something when your supplementing and pissing most of it out.

also...healthy minimum levels and optimal is not always the same.

@tris: Yes it's certainly interesting, and is where I'm heading with my hunting practice. Lynx Vilden really sums my position up well in this interview:

]The MOON: [/b]What is that like—killing an animal?

Lynx: It’s life-changing. To hold a warm, living, breathing animal in your hands, to pull back its fur or feathers prior to slitting its throat… it’s very humbling. It really commands your attention, too—the realization that another being is going to give its life so that you can eat. When I know we’re going to do a kill, I can’t sleep the night before.

It’s very different killing a domesticated, versus a wild, animal. Domesticated animals are so docile; it’s almost as if they give themselves to you. I’d much rather shoot a deer that has spent its life running free than kill a domesticated animal.

We draw straws for the one who will actually make the kill. In the last class, it was a girl who was a vegetarian. She wanted to do it. She wanted to know what it was like to take full responsibility for her life—which includes the lives that are sacrificed on her behalf.

She did a good job. She brought all of herself to it—and we always do our kills with prayers and respect. I don’t know how it played out for her emotionally, but I know she ate of every part of that sheep.

That’s another thing that happens when you know that another animal gave its life for you: you don’t waste any of it. We ate all of the meat and the organs. We used the brains for tanning, the hooves and connective tissue for glue, and the bones for tools and jewelry and even musical instruments. Every part of the animal becomes precious.

When you live your life this way, everything in your life has a story to it. The story of the sheep you killed, and ate, and wear, and made tools from, is a much richer and more durable story than the story of the piece of meat wrapped in cellophane that you bought from the grocery store and knew nothing else about. When you know the story of your food, it connects you viscerally to the rest of life. And when you don’t know the story of your food, you’re disconnected.

@Craig

Hunting? What are you hunting and how?

I've done a little in my time.

From snares, deadfalls, throwing sticks and other survival methods to more modern methods involving what one might consider light anti-aircraft artillery.

One time I had a plan (~15yrs old) to hangout overtop of a deer run...drop out of a tree onto a deer with a knife and kill it. Maybe a good thing this never came to be.

• 1 month later...

after a small experiment with magnesium and some research.

I've decided that I have not been getting enough in my normal natural diet.

I've seen significant improvements in sleep and recovery.

Also my research suggests that modern foods that would typically be relatively high in magnesium are now often relatively low due to poor soil quality....this is true for many elements/nutrients/minerals and just another reason to try as best as possible to eat organic from high quality sources....like your own veggie plot :)

I'm now going to take this experiment and try to increase the natural sources of magnesium in my diet and phase out the supplement...

looks like kelp, kale (leafy greens) and pumpkin seeds are some of my best options.

Hey Adam, I think also brazil nuts (Bertholletia exclesa) could be a good source of Mg.

Thanks for that tip

Yes they are quite high in mg...but also high in selenium....so have to watch quantity.

• 1 year later...

I would like to share this with the ST community and I hope this is an appropriate place.

US Preventive Services Task Force published recommendations to health professionals about Vitamin Supplementation to Prevent Cancer and Cardio-vascular deceases.

Under the link below you will find 3 key results. All in all, they found no sufficient evidence that supplementation with multivitamins or supplements reduces risks of cancer and CVD. Furthermore, there is evidence to suggest that use of 'antioxidants' is making your worse off: "The USPSTF recommends against the use of β-carotene or vitamin E supplements for the prevention of cardiovascular disease or cancer."

http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/UpdateSummaryFinal/vitamin-supplementation-to-prevent-cancer-and-cvd-counseling