Stretching Chinese Style

The obvious answer is that it depends on your circumstances and level of experience, body awareness etc. I would not go from being really cold and stiff into full on ballistic stretching, but personally I have been doing ballistic stretching without any formal warm up.

I find them to be more effective if I am already somewhat warm either from training or just from other activities, and the only time I do not feel like doing it is in very early morning. Though by virtue of the exercises I will be really warm when I am half way through.

I am becoming less and less drawn to non specific warm ups, eventually we want to be able to go from rest to 100% with out elaborate warm ups.

As with everything else in life, ease into it and with time this should become less of an issue anyway.

Yes...as with anything that is pushing your body to or beyond it normal easy capacity.

Be mindful...starting slower and easier.

I've found these to be a great warm up...I make my warm up mostly about easy activities that I want high volume of. And a ramp of intensity... Joint Integrity, Breakfalls, Rolls...elbow to toe etc...

I use these as a warm up all the time. As with anything, regardless of when you are doing it, you should listen to your body and go as gentle or as hard as your body is telling you its capable of. This changes day to day for me.

• 1 month later...

So I just did:

100 x pike bounce (target elbows to toes)

100 x foot up to front bounce (target head to toes) ( both sides so 200 total)

100 x foot up to side bounce (target head to toes) ( both sides so 200 total)

60 x pu bu bounce(target ass to grass) ( both sides so 120 total)

60 x hanging pancake bounce(target ass to grass)

Feels great!

How do you guys deal with DOMS from stretching? They're really holding me back from achieving a good pancake. My medial hamstring is so sore after a good pancake stretching session. I've tried to work through it on occasions but it's too uncomfortable, I just feel a tugging right at the origin. I'm actually finding if I just stretch the pancake every two or three of weeks, I get good results, going deeper, I have got my stomach to the floor now. This isn'tfrequent enough to really get the position down though.

How do you guys deal with DOMS from stretching? They're really holding me back from achieving a good pancake. My medial hamstring is so sore after a good pancake stretching session. I've tried to work through it on occasions but it's too uncomfortable, I just feel a tugging right at the insertion. I'm actually finding if I just stretch the pancake every two or three of weeks, I get good results, going deeper, I have got my stomach to the floor now. This isn'tfrequent enough to really get the position down though.

Everyone has a different stretching schedule which works for them. You might find stretching hard once every 2 weeks works for you. In the mean time you should just practice moving into the pancake, active flexibilty work ie straddle L-sit, compression work etc. if you're getting to about 90% of your full rom in this kind of work then its a good sign.

• 2 months later...

Any news of the follow along VOD?

Ido have been know to say "you have to earn the bounce".

And these types of ballistic stretching seems to be in the Wushu protocol.

That being obtained after gaining some ROM with LPS.

"Some" ROM indeed! Face to toe with straight leg, 5 minute horse stance, and one other requirement I forget.

Any news of the follow along VOD?

Ido have been know to say "you have to earn the bounce".

And these types of ballistic stretching seems to be in the Wushu protocol.

That being obtained after gaining some ROM with LPS.

You have to earn the 400 reps per day 45 day wushu protocol.

Requirements are:

Active straight leg raise to 90 degrees

Elbow to opposite toe

5 min horse stance.

Then the protocol is

400 bounces forward bend

400 side bend

5 min horse stance.

Sorry if it's a redit I don't find the answer :-(

Emmet or someone else can you explain the protocol with more details (is it in one set, pictures for the positions, ...):

Then the protocol is

400 bounces forward bend

400 side bend

5 min horse stance.

Thank you.

After this discussion do you think it's possible to say "bounce stretching" = "controlled ballistic stretching" ?

Matt.

Sorry if it's a redit I don't find the answer :-(

Emmet or someone else can you explain the protocol with more details (is it in one set, pictures for the positions, ...):

After this discussion do you think it's possible to say "bounce stretching" = "controlled ballistic stretching" ?

Matt.

You can see some of the idea's here.

I'm thinking with this "bounce" stretching we have a new class of stretch. I'm terming it "rhythmic dynamic" stretching in my practice which I feel is a better description than ballistic or bouncing.

Thank you for your answer.

"rythmic dynamic stretching" nice :-) Do you include different kind of stretch?

Matt.

I do. I've been using a lot of isometric stretching with my students as well as RD. The results are mind blowing but this is early stages in the experimentation. Give me a year or two and I'll have a full protcol.