KG - ST & GST Training/Discussion Log

Keilani Gutierrez

went to a buddies gym space where he teaches Parkour and other guys do Tricking.

post-2881-0-31576400-1397151591_thumb.jp

I got to say, I hadn't seen a gym space since going to Woodward in '07-'09 & it felt really cool to finally let loose and train at an actual facility.

Warm Up

wrist - elbow - shoulder warm up

Wrist PE's 1 set of 10 each

Dislocates - 5kg - 5 reps

WOD

FG Pullups - 2 x 1

Foam Mat(or block?) Senders - jumped 3 boxes for 3-4 sets, last set was with a double stacked box at the end. (it was absolutely awesome to do these on a plyometric floor, i felt like i was going to eat it a few times, from adjusting to the rebound and landing well.)

Muscle up 2 x 1 (been a good while since I last did muscle ups and lose the dip portion on the rings. really needed to focus to get a good rep in with RTO, not bothered since im still working on basics)

Rope Climb 5 x 1 ( did these jumping and legless, straddle looked crappy from focusing on climbing, but there is so much room for improvement to make these beautiful. this was more of a strength test to see where I was. I could easily make it up with Sternum-Chin high pulls and the descents were rough on my fingers. it literally was the hardest workout I've done involving my hands. they were seriously put to the test, my forearms are a bit sore today. did these with 60-120sec rest between laps, will be interesting to compare this experience once Row's and Pullup variations are mastered.)

Mobility

Hip Flexor stretch + Fascial massage from hanging off a set of parallel bars(2 x 1 min)

calve hang fascial release(1x1min Joak, you were right about these and the HF hang, it feels totally unique and doing the HF hang with straight legs made me hallucinate I was seeing fireflies everywhere :P)

chest static stretch 1 set of 5 sec C-R and then relax for 30sec (each side)

this was a play day, so after everything was said and done, i took to the vault / foam pit to re-learn front tucks. I haven't flipped easily in 7-9yrs, so it was cool to go from straight hucking to getting around everytime. what I do keep doing is throwing my shoulder down like if i were doing a roll on the ground. need to work on that bit. aside from all the awesomeness going around, there was more awesomeness. I was really excited to play in a gym and felt like a kid in an adult playground :)

Nice place and nice workout. I followed your advice about straightening the legs in the HF hang and it was much better, even though I didn't have to go all the way to locked knees. Finished off yesterday's workout with it and also calf hang, flexing the knees a bit so the bar traveled back and forth. Potent is the right word for them. :)

Good to see your log here too, I know I could count on you. :D

Nice workout KG. I will be shooting Miss O today (getting all the ducks in a row for the ST for GST programs; sorting out the gear is a big part of this, and why not sort it out by shooting something really useful?)

Stay tuned, KL

uploading a vid I took of my last rope climb for yesterdays session(I was beat, my fingers/hands felt like they were going to break at a moments notice. hahahah)

felt really cool, this was the first time i had done rope climbs in my life. totally stoked that it's going to be a frequent element visited in the future :)

Joak, the straddle isn't as nice as it can be, but give me time and i'll do rope climbs proud :D

posted it on my facebook:

uploading a vid I took of my last rope climb for yesterdays session(I was beat, my fingers/hands felt like they were going to break at a moments notice. hahahah)

Nice work! Once tip I found really useful is to pull both your hands tight to your chest before reaching up. It looks like you're pulling your hands to about your face before reaching up.

Awesome facility Keilani, its nice to sometimes play around a bit and not follow foundation religiously. I noticed your video of the twisting squat and you're seriously good at it. How on earth did you do it? It's literally the only thing in F1 i can't do...

Nice work! Once tip I found really useful is to pull both your hands tight to your chest before reaching up. It looks like you're pulling your hands to about your face before reaching up.

agreed there! I think it was placing the muscle ups first before rope climbs; that was a rookie move. the FG pullups felt great (upto chest) and should have been enough for warming up purposes. next time i get the opportunity to climb the rope, i'll re-film and improve on the straddle, AT LEAST. :P

Awesome facility Keilani, its nice to sometimes play around a bit and not follow foundation religiously. I noticed your video of the twisting squat and you're seriously good at it. How on earth did you do it? It's literally the only thing in F1 i can't do...

just practice and playing around. sit cross legged and push down, stand up, it kind of feels like your just squatting on the sides of your ankles to be honestly. depending on how developed your ankles are(or stiff; mine are only semi mobile. i saw a picture recently of a dope ass full squat on the ST FB page and it blew me away how far i can go with it. I have strong(and stiff-ish) ankles from riding bmx, martial arts and barefoot living for most of my life. i don't wear shoes inside the house, not even sandals. i don't put shoes on unless i need to(like to go out, but to the beach for example, sometimes i won't even take my sandals to not get sand on them) but yeah, just practice and keep progressing steadily. nothing bad doing less, if more is too much. I had to take a step down and do the 3/day a week schedule(starting a cycle this upcoming week) and i can tell I need it. just gotta improve the mind-body connection, thats all :) as always, work hard, whatever level hard is for you and stay safe!

The rope climb was not bad!

I've been doing the GB row progressions on (two) ropes instead of rings. A nice and gentle way to prepare the forearms for rope climbing. Maybe something for you to look into. :)

that does sound like a good idea. though using the rings(for the rows) have proven to be more than enough to explode my forearms. I was surprised they weren't AS fatigued during rows(or more cause by the time I was done climbing, my fingers were the part that was mostly saying "yo, no iM's, please. just rest. I beg you."

Awesome, did you get your muscle up with Foundation? Or were you able to do them before? Still no luck for me there.

I had a very weird introduction to GB through watching
and then seeing his L-sit tutorial led me to the GB YT channel. which is where I started doing the pre-req routine and basically a workout focused on developing muscle ups(i did 3days a week, horizontal press/pull, upward press/pull, downward press/pull) I had my first muscle up after a few months but not the joint health/mobility. like yeah, i felt strong but it felt too strenuous(i only had maybe 1-3 reps in me on a rest day) and never one after the other in a FG dead hang. it's only now I can consider that I can do a rep but it still isn't upto par because i bend my body. but something is something, right?

also something for me to note, is that I started with a very low bodyweight(148lbs) and progressively got heavier(I'm currently 161lbs, much leaner than i was before) but I still find them challenging. my height is 5'7 (but im sure with improvement in my HF mobility, im actually a bit taller)

I had a very weird introduction to GB through watching

I've seen that video a while ago, he has some good progressions. They remind me a lot of Foundation actually. It's all stuff I'm working on with Foundation (including false grip work on the side). Maybe once I get towards the end of F1 it will be a good place to start developing my muscle up.

the most critical factor for me was the FG(forearm flexibility) and the transition. it's the part where I go from FG pullup to that small circular movement to dip that i kno if im going to make it or not. i've seen people move through this transition with assistance from the feet to get a feel for it and do that as a PE.

the most critical factor for me was the FG(forearm flexibility) and the transition. it's the part where I go from FG pullup to that small circular movement to dip that i kno if im going to make it or not. i've seen people move through this transition with assistance from the feet to get a feel for it and do that as a PE.

I'm working the FG with a 30 second dead hang warm up each work out. As with most people I imagine, it's the transition that gets me.

Warm up

Wrist Stretch forearm nerve gliding-5 rep per position

Ido Shoulder ROM band routine-1 rep

cat cow-5 rep

Wall Squat compression-10 sec

Wall leg adduction-10 reps

Side Leg Abduction-5 reps

swivel hips-10 rep

Shoulder Bridge-10sec

Supine bent PPT-10 reps

Calve raises-5 reps

Wrist Stretches(4x10reps)

Wrist Pushup-4x5

FKP - 4x5

WR - 4x5

FTP - 4x5

WOD

Headstand - Shoulder Extension (5lb)

Mobility

band hip flexor stretch-2min

Couch Quad Stretch-2min

Piriformis-2min

Bent Leg Hamstring Lunge-2min

Wall leg adduction- 15 reps

Swivel Hips-50 reps

Taylor Pose Flies-5lb-10reps

comments

today was a good day for my hips. it all started when I was trying out the Squashed Frog stretch with C-R pulses & also for 5 sec long C-R. once I was done with a few rounds of this and relaxing at the bottom for a minute or so, once I stood up, for some reason my glutes were contracting harder. so that's a plus. :) the bent leg hamstring stretch was awkward, it was my first time doing it for time and I'm becoming more and more comfortable with actually "doing nothing" to relax, instead of lightening up on the contraction. getting there ~

was limbering up and sitting in Tailor pose at my desk and felt some action going on in the middle-to-bottom part of my Sacrum...it was hard to tell if it was bone or muscle fibers moving...it happened when I was exiting the pose and bringing my legs up.

something to be worried about? or things falling back in place? because the Sacrum is one bone...i hope... >_>

doing mostly mobility and lacrosse rolling.

for log's sake

partner wall hip flexor stretch- 2min per side (I also did a solo version while bending the knee and holding my foot to stretch HF and i felt it in my soul...did it for a while on each leg while watching Game of Thrones.)

seat piriformis stretch- each side 3min

Arch body lifts- 5 reps

Shoulder Extension- 1 set of 20sec

lacrosse ball - Tricep smash - 2min each side

Dislocates- 1 set of 5 reps

all about it for today...a few days ago i was doing Tailor pose and then Flies with 6lb's and a final stretch for a minute or two with 10lbs on each side.

Squashed Frog-flossing and time in each end of ROM.

Game of thrones mobility sesh.

kneeling HF stretch(sink into relax)- 5-6minute intervals between legs(then bending the leg, release leg, pulse between APT and PPT to feel my glutes and the front of the hip stretch)

chair Piriformis- 1-2 minutes on each side. learning how to keep my back as straight as possible on this to maximize stretch on P. (relaxing in this position is tricky, because i feel as if my back slumps)

Tricep release-didn't really keep track of time(probably anywhere from 2-5 minutes on each arm), focused more on sensation and working my way steadily towards the elbow. got a ton of mobility surprisingly after this in my anterior chest, once I did a prone static stretch for the arms, my glutes were very close to the ground on both sides(which hadn't been the case before for quite some time, was always a few inches away and slowly crept towards the floor, never making any significant stride) now i can access fully open shoulders at any time, without warm up. sha-weet.

question on the prone chest statics(be it straight arm and bent arm) i notice that in the bent arm version, it becomes more intense in the Delts because my shoulders are somewhat depressed(not actively) and when I do the straight arm version, my should feels more elevated. is there a particular way to hold the shoulder when you want to stretch the chest?

The prone floor stretch hits my shoulders when pressing them into the floor. Can't really get a good pec stretch out of it with any shoulder position, I much prefer the ring variation I mentioned in another thread. That one has given me great results with not much effort or time. Not a great answer to your question maybe. :)

The prone floor stretch hits my shoulders when pressing them into the floor. Can't really get a good pec stretch out of it with any shoulder position, I much prefer the ring variation I mentioned in another thread. That one has given me great results with not much effort or time. Not a great answer to your question maybe. :)

what ring stretch? have a YT clip, link or picture?