A new, short, YT clip, shot today:

The new technology is enabling, for me. Comments welcome.

I feel such a privilege to have been able sit next to Dancers, Yoga Teachers, a Gemologist, Physio, Doctors, psychiatrist, body workers, teachers, movers, all, in physical & mental practice and see everyone so moved and inspired.

If I knew the caliber of people/abilities attending in advance I would have been intimidated. In fact I was on day 1, and worried before - how would you bring these people together over the 3 days...?

So special that Kit, Stretch Therapy & attendees can bring SUCH a diverse range of abilities and minds together.

So we use our muscles, ligaments, tendons, skin etc to indirectly communicate to our mind that we can actually do the movement we want?

Will such training be included in the forthcoming ST for GST material? I'm in particular hoping there's something that will cover the Superman Hold :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that seminar attendees are having major breakthroughs :D

Kate wrote:

So we use our muscles, ligaments, tendons, skin etc to indirectly communicate to our mind that we can actually do the movement we want?

Precisely (except we use these structure to alter the actual maps of what the mind "thinks" it can do), and yes re. the contents of the forthcoming programs: that's what these will be about.

Can you show me a pic. of what you mean by "Superman hold" please?

I think Kate is referring to the infamous arch body hold.

as for OP, I think what I want is to know what I need. there's only so many ways one can flex an elbow, no? the message that you guys as a community have brought to my conscious mind is that there is what I think about how "every body is different" before being introduced to ST and what i think about how "every body is different" now. now i can see that i didnt have better hip mobility in 2013 is because i was somehow convinced that one stretch that felt so awkward and alien(im talking about how i felt doing your solo hip flexor video the first time and subsequent times) to then having an ah-hah moment in noticing that it actually was helping, only that the progress was going so slowly.

I currently feel this same way with bringing my legs closer to the ground while laying supine. even though my mobility is improving, there is this uncertainty that pushes me to evaluate and then fall into paralysis of analysis

because i dont have a point of reference to compare myself with. but i think i answered my own "what do i want?" by making a full circle to knowing that the only way i can have a better grasp of where to go with my flexibility practice would be to make it to a workshop. :P

Hey Keilani, re the hip flexor... have you tried the partner hip flexor? Admittedly it was Kit who was partnering me at the workshop... but this was a big aha moment. As in, wow, that stretch was biiiig and muscles were re-arranged (in control though). So I would say, if you can find a sympathetic partner, you will then take it to the next level prior to a workshop. Get your head in the right space + partner stretch... :wub:

You can't do it yourself.

Just to add a couple more points. Kit says that he is not a magician*. The magic produced I think has a lot to do with the partner connection that you will feel to your bones. Today, I went for a long walk. Prior to the walk I had watched fascia magnified 25x on youtube (Kit had mentioned multiple times in the workshop regarding another video like this which I couldn't find). Seeing it really was... wow. Anyway, the magic does seem to be this feeling of love that happens. You can see it in the Stretch Teacher pictures. Not really sure what my point was exactly :) But, that mind/body connection to other people is hugely helpful to our stretching efforts, not to mention the physical help, tactile cues and other support a partner brings.

Also, re the uncertainty, and paralysis by analysis, this goes against what you need to be doing (relax, breathe, feel). The headspace is important, when in doubt, maybe go for the state or similar where you are with the relaxation practice.

Just semi-newbie thoughts here, take what you want from them.

[*edited]

yeah, doing the scripts have helped, i've been slow to get some traction but once it's there, things progress nicely :)

just a thing of being consistent and actively learning. thanks for sharing your experience ;)

@ Kate, re. Superman Hold:

We think you mean Arch Body Hold (ABH):

Liv will talk folk through this one using the old guy (me) to demo the whole thing, with all progressions from Gramp's-able through to the full version. It is all in the cueing. This will be part of the full bridge program (we think) at this point.

And (@ edna and KG): this is all spot on (and ask yourself: What's the rush?) Everyone wants everything now, and that's not how it works. All you need is a single 'Aha' moment and everything changes, and nothing is ever the same.

Sorry for getting back to this belatedly. Yes, I did mean the infamous ABH, thanks Keilani :-) This body's limitations are lack of thoracic extension and tight hip flexors. I am working on these and I want an Aha moment!

@ Kate: a hot tip—this stretch is the key to ABH:

No one will ever be able to access their full strength in the ROM required if the basic ROM is not there. Lie over a support (tightly rolled towel is perfect) with the support at the tightest point, and make sure the head and neck is relatively neutral.

Kate, a foam roller has quite different effects, in my experience (and good and useful, too). If you have a couch with suitable and big enough diameter ends, try that using the techniques above and please report back.

Foam rollers affect the surface layers more (so fascia, etc.); the larger diameter supports allows the whole body to relax over the curve; much deeper, whole-body effect, I feel.

The rolled towel version, my 'TV pose'.

+Princely assistance

post-2904-0-10210100-1397692016_thumb.jp

What do I want? Grapes please and some guiding female hands.

Hesitating posting this... but, I am too cautious in life...

;)

post-2904-0-52054500-1397692003_thumb.jp

Kate, a foam roller has quite different effects, in my experience (and good and useful, too). If you have a couch with suitable and big enough diameter ends, try that using the techniques above and please report back.

Reporting back, SIR! :)

I've been doing this on my couch end and with a 4kg weight to stretch the shoulders and arms back. I know this isn't how it's done in the video but it felt like something I should do as I can ABH better with arms out to the sides than arms straight out front. I get some nice cracking going on with things mobilising in the spine and as it's less than a week since I began these, I'll report back in another three, SIR!

OK, OK; got it.

I shall be delighted to hear your experiences with the recommended exercise! :)

I just wanted to comment more on my experience at the Into the Stretch & Stretch Teacher workshop.

The photo I posted (a few posts above) is actually somewhat of a fantasy that I have had (being hand fed grapes)!! Although it never occurred to me who would be involved. After this photo, the real icing on the cake was another attendee (female) asking: "Can I touch him? I just feel like... touching him." This moment was amazing!

The deeper truth behind this is the shame feelings accompanying the idea that one has poor posture (concentrating on aesthetically here). The summary of my reactions to that is: trying to fix it via increased tension, thereby causing a rising escalation of tension and rigidity & worsening and spreading of the issue. A downward spiral. A similar situation occurs in the stomach, where I try to hold my stomach in, for reasons of fashion. I am sure a lot of people do this also.

So in the group, my feelings of shame were lifted on a number of occasions over the two weekends, helped along by being probably the most frequently 'picked on' tight person :) Standing up in the middle of the room of 20 people, being objectively and non-judgementally altered was extremely powerful.

There probably is something in this for some people & I don't think going to a workshop is necessary to actually alter these conscious patterns of tension. As Kit said at the start of the workshop: just be who you are, you can't be anyone else (maybe paraphrased), oh also what people think of you being none of your business.

post-2904-0-34619800-1398985958_thumb.jp

Don't be a slave to fashion. edit: Fashion is awesome.

Edited by AndrewL

Andrew, two brilliant posts in a single thread...

Our culture is really strange, actually, and we don't notice this because we are in it. Apart from getting a massage (and most people do not get one often enough), the only ways people handle each other are aggressively, or sexually. There is just so much more! Working with our own bodies and starting that process of acceptance is a first step in really being able to love others, I feel. I could go on, but what you say here is priceless.

• Like 1

The deeper truth behind this is the shame feelings accompanying the idea that one has poor posture (concentrating on aesthetically here). The summary of my reactions to that is: trying to fix it via increased tension, thereby causing a rising escalation of tension and rigidity & worsening and spreading of the issue. A downward spiral. A similar situation occurs in the stomach, where I try to hold my stomach in, for reasons of fashion. I am sure a lot of people do this also.

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience, it certainly resonates with me.

I've also been thinking about this relationship between relaxation, tension and posture. While my goal is to generally be more relaxed, if I were to completely relax, i'd just fall into a puddle onto the floor. :) So I guess some tension has to exist in the body. So is that why we strength train as well as stretch? So we can maintain posture with minimal tension? I don't have any answers on this subject, but it's something that I hope to learn more about.

Apart from getting a massage (and most people do not get one often enough), the only ways people handle each other are aggressively, or sexually.

One of the few things I'd change in my life if I were rich is get massaged all the time! I had a brief session of thai massage the other day that was a totally new and very interesting experience. To get more out of it I think I'd have to build a better rapport with a masseuse so that we could work into deeper ranges of motion. But I really enjoyed the principles of the techniques that they were using.

It seems that even with massage, people have a hard time separating it from a sexual experience. Since it's unfortunately so rare that we are touched in non-sexual ways, I think it's easy to get confused in these situations.