BodylineHealth

Describe the benefits of ST classes in 60 seconds or less

Hi all,

I'm keen to hear how fellow ST's are describing ST to the masses.

I'm finding it's a great talking point (i.e describing it as 'ST' or even simply just 'stretching') as the most common response is 'Oh! So that's like Yoga or Pilates, right?' - expecting a 'Yes, just like that!'.

I'm interested to hear how you are describing ST in a simple, straight forward way that is easily understood by the masses and can be done in under 60 seconds.

The ideas that come through can then be used by all to make a standard response and help spread the word about the benefits of ST.

NB: I had a flick through the previous forums and couldn't find a similar topic so apologies if this has already been covered).

I look forward to your replies!

Cheers,

Holly :ph34r:

Hi Holly

Here goes!

Stretch Therapy is a safe, yet extremely efficient, way to improve your flexibility. Flexibility plays an integral part in our physical and mental well being; stretching allows us to release muscular tension, manage injury, and allay common aches and pains associated with stress and age, or too much work at the computer!

Stretch Therapy techniques will help you to learn about your own patterns of tension, and how to change them. You will gain deeper insight to yourself. Your body will feel looser, your range of movement will be greater, you will be more relaxed and you will sleep better. The result is graceful and efficient movement and a deep sense of ease in the body.

Doing Stretch Therapy simply feels great. You will notice significant improvements in the way you move and feel. Put simply, improving flexibility and strength improves the quality -- the texture -- of your life.

Cheers

Olivia

My three-second take:

How to achieve grace and ease in the body.

Should the conversation continue, then:

Differences between ST and Yoga? The use of the Contract-Relax approach to loosen tight bits. Partner poses. The breaking down of all the major Yoga poses into their "vocabulary of flexibility", then designing specific techniques to loosen any tight bits. We then recombine these elements for holistic benefits, but with the additional awareness/strength/flexibility that dealing with the problem parts bestows.

Of course, some of the positions look very similar—there are only so many positions the body can be put in to, for structural reasons. Dance and gymnastics similarly. ST is excellent preparation for all three.

Differences between ST and Pilates? Rebecca Leone (famous Pilates educator) described ST as "the missing part of Pilates". She described me as a "living Joe", but I took no notice of that! ST allows the body to get into all the Pilates exercise positions—without this, and this is the same in Yoga classes, too, the students just cheat to try to make the positions.

ST confers significantly enhanced awareness of the experience of living in your body.

• Like 1

"Vocabulary of flexibility" that kit suggested resonates with me.. It is a common thread that ties the other exercise systems together. Understanding each link individually before combining it as part of a complex movement.

Thanks guys, all great ideas.

I came across a really good article with a Pilates instructor who did ST (teacher training) with Kit and it gives a wonderful description in easily understandable wording. I've printed several copies and given it to students, potential students and all the physio's and allied health professionals in the centre. They've all asked for an in-service and look to be joining the classes themselves! One of the physio's came up to me last week and was asking more about it. She mentioned that even though she's a physio (a very experienced, post grad sports physio), she still doesnt really know much about stretching effectively.

I also have a meeting with a physio who runs a busy pilates practice to see how we can cross promote and work together. All this from an article Kit did 2 yrs ago (I think it was in a Pilates magazine)

I'll upload it here so everyone can access. It's FAB!

Loving life, thanks Kit & Liv. Xx

Hi All,

I'm just about to open a new health collective in Wellington N.Z, 'Harmonious Bodies', where I will be launching ST classes. I have found this thread incredibly valuable. Thanks Holly for asking the question. Becoming proficient at teaching others stretch is one thing, running a sucessful business quite another.

Holly, did you ever find & upload that article? I would love to read it. How are your classes going?

Terrified and excited almost in equal measures, :)

Ali

Hello Ali and Holly,

The article is HERE (I uploaded it on my server); the magazine is Pilates Style. It's a small (350kb) download.

Ali, when you begin teaching, just remember that you know a whole lot more about this than any of your students, and never be afraid to say, "I don't know, but I will find out and get back to you on that." This has helped me enormously! Good luck.

Hi Ali!

Great to hear from you! Congrats on starting your classes, that's fantastic! I ran into one of the students from our Sydney course last weekend and she has found it very difficult to get started and has pretty well given up. Made me feel sad because although it's really tough initially and it definitely takes time, eventually it gets enough momentum to become viable.

Poor Kit & Liv (and the rest of the online ST community) - I've asked the most random, possibly novice-like annoying questions on here but everyone's been really supportive and hopefully there are others who have the same questions, just haven't asked yet.

So, I shall continue asking my random questions and hopefully that helps you too! Remember to ask random ones of your own!

Good luck Ali. I wish you all the best with your ST career.

Holly x

P.S. 2 things I have learned - persistence and consistent execution :)

Have you seen the "What is Stretching, really?" YouTube vid? Could be useful in this regard, too:

Cheers, and there's plenty more there, too.

Great thread, pity Im just seeing it now. This is what I came up with for my upcoming classes for Crossfitters. I have called it Stretch Mobility, because mobility is a buzzword Crossfitters will understand and secondly I do not yet feel I can offer anyone therapy.

Daniel is excited to be introducing Stretch Mobility classes to Hillseeker Crossfit. Stretch Mobility will aim improve your functional range of motion particularly for the squat (ankles, legs and hips) and overhead positions (shoulders, chest and spine). Functional range of motion implies strength and stability at the end of the range. Although designed with the CrossFitter in mind, Stretch Mobility will also work wonderfully to offset the ravages of a stressful modern life, especially for those who spend a lot of time sitting or hunched over their keyboard.

Stretch Mobility draws heavily on Stretch Therapy, a system developed and refined over the last 25 years by Kit Laughlin (www.kitlaughlin.com) and his team. Stretch Therapy is an effective and safe way to improve flexibility using contract-relax and other PNF techniques combined with a range of stretching poses that allow the body and mind to safely access new range of motion, targeting one muscle group at a time. Daniel has been exploring the system himself for several months, and recently completed six days of training with Kit.

Stretch Mobility will teach you a range of exercises and techniques that you can also practise alone. Many of the stretches have partner versions which are more effective than the solo variations, so it is an ideal class to attend with a partner or friend. The first classes will run for four weeks on Monday evenings 19:00 in lieu of yoga, starting 24 November. You can join any or all of the classes.

"This is what I came up with for my upcoming classes for Crossfitters. I have called it Stretch Mobility, because mobility is a buzzword Crossfitters will understand and secondly I do not yet feel I can offer anyone therapy." -Danny

Love it! I love the use of the term 'mobility' with Stretch. It can also appeal to a wider or more specific range of people. Also allows exploration of other classes and programs, say a 2-4week program of Neck & Shoulder Stretch Mobility, Hip and Lower Back Stretch Mobility, etc

Good explanation too, Danny. Thanks for joining the conversation and contributing.

I glad this popped to the front of the forum.

I'm always looking to refine/sharpen the language I use to describe the classes I run.

I'm putting together a Stretch class based on ST for the new year... I'm going to call something like: Stretch Lab

This will be useful.

For a recent Movement Play class I've started running.

I put on the flyer this:

Get a great workout, while nourishing your body and mind's need to move. Really move! Crawl, run, jump, climb...roll on the floor...invert yourself...in a safe and supportive environment.

Don't just look fit! Be able to express your fitness in the ways you move through life and the world!

Learn to use play, creativity and movement exploration to improve your flexibility, strength, and cardiovascular health, all while having fun!

Adam, I'd come after reading that description, for sure.

What I wanted to say was:

Are you tired of wasting your life on the elliptical?

Are you only here because a TodayTonight episode made you think this was good for you

Are you sore, broken and injured from all the fitness industry Fads such as:

- jumping on and off a bosu

- doing 4000 jumping lunges and push-ups in a hours group fitness class

- doing endless burpes even though you can't squat, hold a plank or jump with good form.

- doing 20 chin-ups in 20 seconds by swimming like a fish and dislocating your shoulder each rep

Are you now so scared of hurting yourself...you only use machines...because they are safe...but strangely your still injured?

Can you no even touch your toes...even with your knees bent...but strangely...you stretch at the end of every group fitness class you take...all 17 a week.

Then I have the class for you!

But thought the gym I am running it at night not like the implied.

"Are you tired of wasting your life on the elliptical?"
, bombarded by Oprah and ads for shit you don't need and will never use?

Imply away!

I'm trying to do the hardest I could think of...

And take people from the halls of devoted Les Mils and global gym. And in an instant show and hopefully convince them of a better way....a very different way.

People at the Energyclinic are already convinced...to be successful and mature my thinking..,I felt I needed to do the convincing and face the multitude of fears, excuses, and flawed ideas.

Hone, my ideas and language and programming to force me grow and challenge/test my own thinking.

People always talk about the rock and the water...and the water flowing around the rock.

But I'd like to be the tree and the rock...where I break the rock apart so my roots can spread. And eventually consume the rock a nutrition.

But alas...I guess the river also eventually wears the rock down.