Specific stretches for chest mobility?

Are there any specific exercises that can target difficulties with chest mobility, esp. isolating chest movement from the rest? Recently I started practicing salsa and have trouble with this type of movement, e.g. moving chest (and chest only) sideways, or making circles with the chest etc. (like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5gpdKjGIX8 I'm not exactly sure if it's better to target the chest and ribs or lower muscles (core, mid and lower back)?

Hi there,

How often have you moved your chest like this before taking up salsa? I would guess not very often, if at all. Most likely, you simply need to practice moving in this way as often as possible so that your body learns how to do it with ease. From a stretching/mobility perspective, freeing up the spine (thoracic, in particular) will give you the most bang for your buck, I think. But simply practicing the movements will also help with this, so that is what I would focus on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nathan said:

Most likely, you simply need to practice moving in this way as often as possible so that your body learns how to do it with ease

I second this.

My ex-wife is a belly dancer.  I used to play around with some of the isolation movements, because they're fun.  Chest circles, belly rolls etc, are very foreign movements to most people's bodies.  Such will be awkward and stiff, until you "wake up" your musculature and nervous system enough for it to start listening to what you're telling it to do.

That is not to say that you won't have mobility restrictions that prevent a full range of motion.  You probably do.  Only that consistent regular practise of the movement(s) is what will give you the greatest gains.

Same principle as for any other endeavour that strives to isolate and articulate precise movements (playing the guitar comes to the mind of this guitarist that wishes after almost 40 years that his musculature and nervous system would start to do more precisely what I tell it).

• Like 1