I'm interested in finding out whether you all have opinions about what the most "ergonomic" chair might look like.

I heard that Kit uses a standing desk, along with the advice that never staying in the same position for more than a little while is the best ergonomic advice. For me, some activities, like meditation, require a chair since I'm an absolute beginner in terms of mobility.

There are so many opinions on ergonomics out there, but most of them seem to be wanting us to buy $700 "desk chairs without much much evidence supporting their design. 

In my brief search for a better chair, I've heard a couple of key factors that make most chairs bad but there might be salient features that I have missed.

1) The height. I've heard you want to sit at a height so that the angle between your torso and your thighs is between 90° to 100° or  maybe more open (~120°). Most dining chairs are too short for me and I have to use a pillow to prop myself up to get anywhere near parallel.

2) The tilt. Most chairs lean back at angle that makes not using the back-rest uncomfortable.image.png.06d5412bb3863116365fceb534b17389.png

I'm still quite unsure what a good chair would look like (and I'm well aware that sitting for any period of extended time is far from good for your body).

Some ideas I've had:

Stools come a lot of heights, but I've never tried working a desk without any sort of back support for the entire day.

image.png.040237306c47c2f00d747993ab401c16.png

Second Option: "Regular" Dining Chairs that don't have any tilt. 

image.png.192eb44b9f6a67915d97b99cfd37a92b.png

Third Option: The slew of weird "chairs" that seem to get thrown around in these conversations but seem expensive and supported by questionable science.

image.png.ad6f5584d4d6659d9621ad2247f56dfb.pngimage.png.81a0cc9901826b09f57986079966a6c9.pngimage.png.b86b48bd64b2886201a321e1b50df660.png

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts! Is there such thing as an ergonomic chair? Does sitting on the edge of your chair work in a pinch?

8 hours ago, JB_ said:

image.png.81a0cc9901826b09f57986079966a6c9.png

Hi JB,

I use a chair similar to the one above, but without a back support. It's not comfortable at all, which is great because it forces me to notice my posture and get up often (when possible). When I visit the US, I have standing desks there that I use, with a barstool for a sitting option.

Simply put, use whatever you like, but try to maintain awareness of your posture and get up often. If sitting in a strange chair is going to reduce the quality of your work, there's really no need to do so. Getting up and moving more often will be much better than finding a super-advanced ultra-ergonomic chair.