Ribby

Adapting Yuri shoulder band for the hips?

Hi everyone,

I recently started doing the Yuri shoulder band sequence that Kit demonstrates in the following video: https://youtu.be/zdwEWchSjrI

It feels great, and I was wondering if 

1) would it be worthwhile to adapt the technique for the hips?

2) If so, how would you do that? I was hoping someone with a better understanding of the body could break it down for me (e.g., how to place the band, what movements to do, etc.)

thanks!

Hi Ribby,

Welcome to the forums!

2 hours ago, Ribby said:

would it be worthwhile to adapt the technique for the hips?

I'm going to say no, not really. Generally speaking, a band sequence is not going to be super helpful for the hips. Shoulder movement relies on a bunch of muscles - many of them small and not very strong, relatively speaking. The shoulders benefit more from a certain amount of movement complexity, and a resistance band can often offer an adequate amount of resistance for mobility purposes. The hips, on the other hand, are primarily moved by big, strong muscles. Generally speaking, they require a lot more intensity and less complexity. Bands can be helpful for addressing certain specific needs, but a general band sequence probably wouldn't be the best use of your time. Some kind of "flow" transitioning between deep squats, Pu Bu or Cossack squats, 90/90, etc. might be a good substitute, though.

That's just my only-somewhat-informed opinion, though. If you're curious, it certainly can't hurt to give it a shot. Anchor a band somewhere low and move your legs through different ranges of motion against the band's resistance. If it makes your hips feel good and you enjoy it, then don't let us stop you from doing it! :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Ribby.

Some kind of Velcro'd ankle cuff could work, and if you do get benefit from it, by all means video the sequence and post here.