Sign in to follow this  
Marty

Is coffee bad for flexilbity??

I have previously read the great book "Stretching and flexibility" and my flexibility has improved. However, I am afraid that drinking too much coffee prevent further improvements, since my muscles may get tense. Do anyone here know if too much coffee can reduce flexibilty?? 

Best regards from Martin 

Hi Martin,

Here is an old post about the same concern: Coffee effecting flexibility and joints?

I will just say that you're asking the wrong question, in my opinion. Rather, I think you should be asking: Is coffee bad for my flexibility? And it's up to you to answer that question. If you suspect coffee is preventing your progress, then stop drinking it for a few weeks or months and see what happens.

That said, unless you are already extremely flexible and trying to eek out those last few millimeters of ROM, there are most likely numerous other factors at play with a much greater impact than coffee will ever have. Consider someone who has only just started lifting weights and then two weeks in, they wonder if their progress has stalled because they aren't taking creatine (or some other vitamin/supplement). By all means, experiment to see how coffee affects you (flexibility, sleep, general health, etc.), but I recommend making the fundamentals your priority.

Hi Marty,

In my experience, coffee make me more tense, less relaxed, and often worsens my sleep, dependent on both dosage taken and time of day consumed. As relaxation is helpful to stretching I have chosen to forego coffee most of the time. My view is similar to Nathan's. Self-experiment. Pay attention to whether you are tense/relaxed on the days you drink coffee versus the days you don't. If it is important to you, try keeping a log. I find this is useful for discerning more subtle patterns over time.

• Like 1