Hi all

Hope all is well during these funny times. Firstly apologies if this has been covered in this forum. This is my first post

I was hoping I could grab some advice regarding routine with master the squat. I have read this following a few times:

However I'm just not good at understand how to program it all with my current schedule. What I don't understand is to form a structure with this series. Im currently with gymnastics bodies stretch series and no matter how much hard effort I am putting in, I just can't seem to get better. I then emailed Kit and Olivia early this year and Kit kindly replied to me. I purchased the master the squat a while back and haven't used it yet as I'm still hoping the stretch series can help me improve for gymnastics bodies. I think it's time I somehow implement master the squat somehow along side it

Now I know Kit doesn't think sets and reps fits with stretching, but personally without structure I will fail with this. I don't understand how many times to hold the stretches and stuff. I fully get there's exercises to do once per week and daily. But how many 'sets' do I do this for. Eg 3 sets of 30 second holds? Really appreciate any advice as I cannot figure out how to structure it all. With GB it is a follow along with durations to be held.

Moves I suck at:

Butterfly position - very hunched over, knees high even though I'm sitting on a block

Pancake position (I'm aware there is another series on this). Hunched over and feel locked somewhere as unable to move forward very much

Vertical frog. Just don't understand how to get better at this. Currently use blocks to hold me up as I am unable to het hips close to the floor and rotate knee out 90 degrees

And many more. 

I'm not saying GB series doesn't work. Perhaps I'm not giving it enough time. However it's just too advanced for me and performed by already flexible people. I struggle to gauge progress 

Thanks all

5 hours ago, Jak said:

Now I know Kit doesn't think sets and reps fits with stretching, but personally without structure I will fail with this.

@Jak: that sentiment is just a thought. There is no connection, necessarily, between this thought and reality.

And what you have been doing, on your account, has not been working. So, you need to do something else.

Get started on trying the various exercises in MTS, and see how they feel. You will know straight away which are the most important. This is the key message of Rik's. Please read his specific directions about how often to do any exercise: the structure you are looking for is all there.

Re. pancake: when you get to this program, you will find that we do not recommend any seated versions like the one you describe, until the standing version (bent-leg to straight) has been mastered. And once this has been mastered, following Rik's suggested timings, the next time you try the seated version it will look and more importantly, feel, completely different. Let go of any thoughts about the process, and get stuck into it. You are entering a whole new world!

And Welcome to the Forums. This is where the rubber meets the road.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jak said:

Now I know Kit doesn't think sets and reps fits with stretching, but personally without structure I will fail with this. I don't understand how many times to hold the stretches and stuff. I fully get there's exercises to do once per week and daily. But how many 'sets' do I do this for. Eg 3 sets of 30 second holds? Really appreciate any advice as I cannot figure out how to structure it all. With GB it is a follow along with durations to be held.

Sometimes I hold a specific pose for more than 10 minutes and then, few days later, do the same stretch for a handful of seconds. You need to familiarize with your body and understand what it needs. If you need an anchor for your thoughts, you can count breaths and focus on relaxing on the exhale. Try counting 10 slow breaths with you complete attention on the area being stretched.

• Like 3

Thanks Kit and jaja.

I'm just gonna have to stop overthinking. It's not easy!  So when you let go of any thoughts about the process, what does that exactly mean? I'm putting in effort so I can gain results (with GB). When you don't see results it's pretty tough to take. Honestly I don't know if it's me being impatient thinking I'm not being impatient, the program or a mixture of both!

Thanks for the support guys

There are tangled threads here. In your first post, you wrote that 

On 5/4/2020 at 1:25 AM, Jak said:

but personally without structure I will fail with this.

Uttering this alone sets you up to fail—you identify an outcome that will happen if you don't get structure. This is nonsense, and at this point, untested. It is, as I mentioned, just a thought.

3 hours ago, Jak said:

So when you let go of any thoughts about the process, what does that exactly mean?

As I read here, no one has suggested this, have they? I recommend letting go of thoughts about outcome; thoughts about process may be useful. The reason is simple: change never happens fast enough for those who want it. But what I am recommending far more strongly is getting down on the floor and doing (in contrast to thinking) and accept that change will take whatever time it needs. The doing will open doors that, put simply, are not available to the mind thinking about X or Y. More: the changes we are talking about are not tangible, day to day. Most people realise (and it's usually a surprise) that they can now do something they could not do weeks or months ago. This is why we need a bit of faith in the system we are using. As I have written about in detail, getting more flexible is not linear; is not tangible; and will take longer than you want.

And of course, effort is required; otherwise nothing happens.

The problem with the GB course that you are doing is that it will not unlock your personal limitations. Basically, the limbering sequence that the models are doing (the two women are extremely flexible) will not help you become flexible, because what they are doing requires a high level of flexibility even to start. To get to that capacity yourself, you must begin at the beginning, and that's what Master the full squat does. Leave the GB material alone (including the strength work) for a month or two, and really get into the MTS material. You can do this any way you like; take a limbering movement and (say) two exercises and run through that sequence twice. See how these feel on the day. And take @jaja's suggestion of holding the final position of either of the exercises for five minutes—feeling what's happening. Do another sequence in two day's time. And so on. Please report back once you've done that.

• Like 3

@oliviaa pointed out to me yesterday that I seem to have contradicted myself (and I do sometimes), but I want to expand what I was driving at in these posts. When I said:

On 5/4/2020 at 7:20 AM, Kit_L said:

Let go of any thoughts about the process, and get stuck into it.

The key point here is "get stuck into it, don't think about it". And later on when I said, "As I read here, no one has suggested this, have they? I recommend letting go of thoughts about outcome; thoughts about process may be useful. The reason is simple: change never happens fast enough for those who want it. But what I am recommending far more strongly is getting down on the floor and doing (in contrast to thinking) and accept that change will take whatever time it needs".

No contradiction there, I feel. The point that I am making is the necessity of a shift away from thinking about process (or outcome) and actually doing the practise. The former will never substitute for the latter.

Hey Kit. Thanks for the messages. I understood what you meant in the previous message to be fair. However thank you Olivia for the input. Your last comment there does confirm what I thought you meant. Makes sense and nothing to hide here...spot on for those that want it change doesn't happen fast enough. That is me. 

I will come back to you shortly. 

Thanks all

Jak

Hi Kit

I'm gonna stick with what I said earlier regarding structure. To from A to B I believe I need a plan. I cannot just do these stretches just 'winging it'. With no objective I will not improve.

I've had a go and you have so many variations it's just too complex for me regarding how to to plan all this out. Everybody is different Kit regarding how they think. There's just to many stretches to fit in each day knowing which ones to select is impossible.  I wanted simplicity and structure and something achievable even with just 15 mins a day.

I can feel that all of the exercises are beneficial indeed. 

The challenge is I cannot cope will all the variations within each videos...its too much. I don't know which ones to pick on a daily basis. Simplicity is best for me and structure. 

I'm fairly frustrated at the moment, not with you guys, but myself and letting overwhelm kick in. 

I've just spent way over an hour and a half doing these stretches and just trying trying to figure out how on Earth to fit all this in. It's just like a big puzzle for me right now. You start with an exercise and multiple variations kick in which I don't know if I should or should not be doing. 

I may come back to this in the future, I'm determined to find something that suits me and my personality with clear structure so I can get in and get out.

Thanks kindly for all your help and support and product. I'm just too lost with it 

@Jak: did you actually do what I suggested above?

First, you noted that the gymnastics body program was not working for you – so I said one conclusion that one can draw from that is that it is not the right program for you. If it was the right program, you will be making progress—and you would not be asking for assistance here.

Next I suggested that you try all of the exercises and feel which ones had the strongest effect for you (or, which are the most difficult; find the easiest version of that, and select it). Only you can find this out. Add some other ones are easy to do and stick with that selection for a while and see what happens.

First is the process of selecting the exercises (the difficult ones are likely to be the ones that are best for you, in the long run), and two is actually doing them and one or two others that feel good when you do them. If you do this, you will end up with a list of exercises which we suggest you try to get deeper into once or twice a week.  That is the first part of the plan. As you improve, select the next most difficult version, and move onto it—remember, one of the core instructions is that you need to be able to do the ones you practise, so select suitable versions. There are many, as you said, but you do not need to do all of them, after the first run through.

Second part of the plan is that you put the mobility exercises together from the MTS program and do those every day but have one day off a week. 

How about you do that and report back with your list of exercises? The deeper point is that the reason why the gymnastics body program is not working for you it is is because it is not targeted to your specific restrictions and requirements. And the only way you can find out what these are is to actually try all the exercises as I suggested to you in my first reply (and this is what Rik said, too). You have to make the list. And that then becomes your plan.

Please stop defeating yourself be thinking that it is all too difficult, or by saying to yourself that "I'm just too lost with it". That approach will be as effective as the GB program.  

Do these things I describe above, put that list together, and get back to us with it. We will definitely help you as you immerse yourself, but this first step is yours alone.

• Like 1

Hi Jak. Another option is to use the Absolute Beginner's Stretching Series. These are all follow-along sessions. No thinking required (!), rather the focus is on pressing play and doing the exercises with the presenter. The series covers the whole body. There are 21 programs across the three Parts that comprise the series, and they are each between 15 and 25 minutes. You could do them all in three weeks, one per day. The 'program' you are looking for on is built in, with the focus on trying out exercises for the whole body, as compared to the Mastery programs which focus on a particular end position. Just a thought. Cheers Olivia

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adley said:

I think I may need to reach out to this forum more for some guidance, but often find myself hesitant to ask for the resource. 

Please ask away! This is what we are here for. And sincere thanks for your eloquent post, above: it is beautifully put, I believe.