Sign in to follow this  
Mick

Hands-on-wall pat-me-down stretch

I'm trying to activate and/or stretch out my thoracic spine to get a little more mobility in the area.
If anyone can tell me a) the name of this stretch and b) anything I could/should be doing differently, I'd really appreciate it.

Hey Mick,

This is E1(A/B) Cat Pose in the Master Shoulder Flexibility series, and you can find it in Stretching & Flexibility as 14. Wall middle and upper back backward bend (p.54) and 35. Partner floor middle and upper back bend (p.103). The E1A version uses stall bars, which is great because you can pull yourself away from the bars as a form of joint distraction. This can be done in the floor version as well (using friction), but it's much easier with something to grip. A partner can help with the joint distraction while also pushing down gently on the back.

Can't really tell much from the video, but if you're using the wall, just be sure to extend the arms strongly overhead (away from the torso) and you can try out different distances from the wall to find your sweet spot for the day. Enjoy :)

• Like 2

Thanks very much for that, Nathan. I can't seem to find my copy of Stretching & Flexibility but when I do I'll then be able to look up all the stretches.

I've also been doing the stretch while holding our balcony rail. And I played around today with what you suggested. Not sure if I've found my sweet spot but feel like I'm on my way. Thanks again!

• Like 1