I occasionally get fleeting pains in my shoulders, especially my right shoulder.

I have had this in the past and there seems to be a correlation with when I have been doing regular press-ups, which I have been doing recently. I've also been doing more pull-ups.

What stretches should I be doing more of to counter-balance this?

Hi TonyW,

Your shoulder pain could be caused by a number of different things including any existing soft tissue issues you might have, any muscular or functional imbalances, as well as your form while performing pushups and pull-ups. If you don't do it already, keeping elbows tucked in vs. flaring out and screwing your hands into the floor (external rotation) are some good general cues you can try. See if it feels any different in your shoulders.

A simple and general recommendation would be to also make sure you're working on strengthening horizontal pulling movements and external shoulder rotation. Aim for developing a balance of strength and mobility around the shoulder joint as too much of either will likely lead to problems later on.

As a starting point the partner stick chest stretch is simply fantastic for efficiently opening up the entire front arm and chest line. You can find that one on the ST YouTube channel plus others, including a great stick series for the rotator cuff (external and internal rotation) which would be worth checking out too.

• Like 1

Thank you Craig, I've taken a look at those videos and will give those a go and will also aim to be more aware of whether my elbows are tucked in when doing press-ups.