Isak

How to truly eliminate muscle knots

Have you ever tried rolling/massaging/stretching some specific muscle for a full hour, only to find it wont budge no matter what?
I have long wondered why tension can seemingly behave different, and how I can learn to release the "stubborn" knots.

I recently watched this video, explaining why foam rolling might not actually release myofascial tension:

In short, he explains the reasoning behind why some form of movement must accompany pressure on the affected area in order to break up the fibrosis.

Maybe this is why I have areas of tension that simply wont yield?
I would love to hear your opinions and experiences with this matter.

Hi Isak,

That's a long video, so I will just preface this by saying I didn't watch it. Another thing worth mentioning is that Dr. Spina loves to make things sound controversial. He's great, and I love a lot of what he says, but sometimes his stuff sounds like verbal clickbait :lol: That's not to say it doesn't have merit, but his delivery can be rather sensationalized.

With that said...

10 hours ago, Isak said:

I have long wondered why tension can seemingly behave different, and how I can learn to release the "stubborn" knots.

Because it's not all the same. No two knots will be the same, and while one tool may work for many of them, other tools may be needed for others. I mentioned backing off in another thread, and this may work the majority of the time, but it's completely possible that you may need to push harder at times. Our bodies are incredibly complex, and all of this is really about getting to know them intimately. That takes time and effort. Careful experimentation.

11 hours ago, Isak said:

Maybe this is why I have areas of tension that simply wont yield?

Ehipassiko - try it and see for yourself :) 

Movement is of course essential, whether during SMR or before/after. Perhaps that is the missing link for you. But it's also possible that stillness and time spent looking into your mental patterns and relationship with your self and/or body could be the key. Your real question is that of how to truly eliminate your muscle knots, and the answer is to find out what is causing them, which I think I mentioned in that other post. This will take careful exploration of your physical and mental patterns. (For example, how does identifying as someone with "stubborn knots" and "areas of tension that simply won't yield" affect tension in your body?) But temporary relief is nothing to scoff at, so in the meantime play with the SMR and movement and perhaps things like hydration and diet. And share your experiences here, as they may help others on a similar path!

I know my reply might not seem very helpful as there is very little in the form of concrete actions to take. Perhaps others will chip in with some specific things to try, or more direct feedback about the video you linked :)

• Like 1

^^ What he said. And I call Dr Spina "Mr Acronym": he creates new acronyms for methods that already have perfectly serviceable names.

Every part of your body (including all the internal organs) have a unique way of holding tension—this is why learning to very finely discriminate what this part vs. that part feels like, and how to let or encourage this tension to go is so important. The idea that there's one way to do this is simply inaccurate.