How does a  person know if they're progressing whilst on the path?.How do I ensure that my actions are in accordance with my chosen virtues?

How will stretch therapy re-establish embodiment? Why stretch?.Who stretches?

Whilst I'm not depressed or hopeless I need something more,something in which I see my progress, something in which helps another person overcome perceived limitations 

I'm going to do a personal training course   as a way of helping people.I think I'll use more of a movement based approach  rather than a  bodybuilding based approach.Bodybuilding is sterile, a form of muscular armoring

Kit what types of bodywork do you think help people re-pattern the nervous system.

You are a philosopher/logician how do I improve my reasoning?

@Gareth:I will comment on each part, because this is a rich series of questions.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, Gareth-OConnor said:

How does a  person know if they're progressing whilst on the path?

I suggest abandoning the idea of progress (though I know what you mean); this is because "progress" is usually achieved by undoing past habits. The term "unfolding" as used in spiritual work has the same flavour: it is usually accomplished by letting go of past habits that have shown themselves to be not useful to you.

In general, movement along the path that is beneficial usually results in life flowing more smoothly, and periods of upset getting shorter and less common. When you feel happy for no reason at all, you know you are going in the right direction.

How do I ensure that my actions are in accordance with my chosen virtues?

By paying attention to the results of choices you make: do they lead to a harmonious result for all concerned, or do they lead to disharmony and conflict? As well, you may care to read this:

https://kitlaughlin.wordpress.com//?s=choices&search=Go

How will stretch therapy re-establish embodiment?

How could it not? This is a question the mind has created; if you get down on the floor and do any kind of stretching for 15 minutes or more, the question answers itself. Your awareness moves into the body; that is an essential first step to embodiment.

Whilst I'm not depressed or hopeless I need something more, something in which I see my progress, something in which helps another person overcome perceived limitations  

I am not sure I understand this, unless it's tied to the next sentence (the one about doing a personal training course; then the last phrase makes sense). If these ideas are tied together, then delete the paragraph return that separates these thoughts.

What I just wrote is an answer to the last question ("how do I improve my reasoning?"): by re-reading what you write and making sure that what is written is what you wanted to say. Writing is simply a reflection of what's happening in the writer's mind. When the mind is confused, or not clear, then the writing that results will reflect this.

what types of bodywork do you think help people re-pattern the nervous system.

All kinds will, if you pay attention. If you have a friend who is a massage therapist, find something you can trade to exchange with for massage. If you are talking about bodywork that you can do on your own, stretching obviously (because trauma or sufficiently fixed mental habits always leaves tension residues in the body) and bodyweight strength/coordination exercise are the best.

Keep going: despite what I wrote in the first paragraph about not progressing, you are heading in the right direction!

8 hours ago, Gareth-OConnor said:

Maybe I'm incapable of progression.I'm dummy it seems...neurologically defective.

What you write here is just a thought form. Do the practises; don't think about them. Your thoughts about the practises are illusions; the practises may lead you to clarity, if you do them (not think about doing them) sincerely

And you did not come back with a single question about what I wrote: only returned a gesture of defeat. Engagement is necessary, not optional. If you are happy the way you are, no problem.

As a friend in Vancouver observed (on hearing considered advice rejected), "How's that workin' for ya?"

• Like 2

I understand that the idea of progress impedes actual progress.When attention is placed on the result the practice is forgotten.

By focusing on the process things will unfold at their own pace.Is this what you mean by abandoning maps about the territory in order to explore the territory?

Does your experience confirm this spiritual  idea of unhelpful habits melting away with time?

What do you think of my writing above?

"If you are happy the way you are no problem".Happiness is not my goal,competence and courage are more compelling to me

"Maybe I'm incapable of progression.I'm a dummy it seems...neurologically defective"

Maybe I don't need to believe every thought that comes up.Maybe I'm acting as a dummy to avoid responsibility

"....neurologically defective".I don't have any physical evidence to confirm this

"How's that workin' for ya"

We'll see

The support is welcomed Kit.I'm glad there are people who will connect with me.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 9:47 AM, Gareth-OConnor said:

"If you are happy the way you are no problem".

I was not taking about being happy; please read more carefully.

I wrote "If you are happy the way you are, no problem [for me or you, implied here.]"

The point of mentioning this is that from your first post, you have stated in a number of different ways that you are not happy with the way you are. And this is why I replied to you above, "you did not come back with a single question about what I wrote: only returned a gesture of defeat. Engagement is necessary, not optional. You replied to my post with no questions or comments on what I wrote—from my perspective, this is not engaging with what I wrote. You replied with a single line about being neurologically defective. That is not engagement.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:47 AM, Gareth-OConnor said:

Maybe I don't need to believe every thought that comes up.

I recommend a stronger approach: distrust every thought that comes up. This recommendation does not mean "don't think"; you need your mind to be clear before it can be any use to you. A famous Zen teacher once said, "The mind is an excellent servant, but a poor master".

The way to instantly assess any thought is just this: is it accompanied by any emotion? is there any sense of stickiness there? The mind's job, speaking from a spiritual perspective, is to create problems for you. Its function is to create suffering; this is how it's put in Buddhism. Suffering is necessary to create the desire to wake up. Writing this like this is the short course; there is much more.

And it's why spiritual work is called "work": it takes effort. And no amount of thinking about any of these things will change any of them, because the tool being used is the problem. You have to build a bigger tool set, and that is what the practises will do, with effort, and the passage of time.

Do the practises, and do whatever interests you, but as a set of actions, not a set of thoughts. 

Please ask any questions about anything that's not clear. This is a new world you are entering; it's strange and wonderful.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:30 AM, Gareth-OConnor said:

What do you think of my writing above?

Same as what I wrote above, talking about reasoning: "by re-reading what you write and making sure that what is written is what you wanted to say. Writing is simply a reflection of what's happening in the writer's mind. When the mind is confused, or not clear, then the writing that results will reflect this."

• Like 3