(Maybe) Quad tendon pain when stretching hips

Hi there, I was performing a variant of the Standing Hip Flexor stretch (https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mfbb/106095111?autoplay=1) except that I was much lower to the ground. I was trying to keep my body upright, and I think I tried to straighten my back leg very hard with a posterior pelvic tilt. I felt a sharp pain above the knee, like a sharp tug, where I imagine the quad tendon might be (attached an image I found on the internet, though I'm not a medical expert). It's also a bit similar to this exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzEV_5kmR4&t=2m15s

I've tried variants of the couch stretch and the standing hip flexor stretch in the past, and haven't encountered this before. Was this simply because I was being too aggressive in trying to straighten the back leg while having a straight back and a posterior tilt? I don't feel any pain when walking or sitting or standing, though I may be imagining a bit of an ache in that area above the knee. I'm quite hesitant to go back into the stretch again. I'll probably try and rest it for a bit  -- I'm hopeful I didn't do anything permanently bad :). I'll go see a doctor if anything gets worse, but just wanted to get advice.

Thanks!

a00294f01.jpg

Hey there!

I'm afraid I can't give you any answers (other more knowledgeable members may in time), but I will tell you what I would do. You say the only pain you feel is perhaps an ache. If everything is functioning normally and you are not feeling significant pain, then I would not worry about it. Your mind might very well manifest a problem where one does not exist. Instead, I would explore the area with gentle, mindful movement. Move it very carefully in all different ways and listen to what your body is telling you. Perhaps try moving back into the stretch position, but use supports to make it feel safe and move as slowly as you need to. Can you get back pain-free? And it wouldn't hurt to spend some extra time walking or doing other gentle movement daily to increase blood flow to those tissues, which will help speed up any healing, just in case something physical did occur.

13 hours ago, learning_to_stretch said:

Was this simply because I was being too aggressive in trying to straighten the back leg while having a straight back and a posterior tilt?

Well, considering this:

13 hours ago, learning_to_stretch said:

I think I tried to straighten my back leg very hard with a posterior pelvic tilt.

I would say that sounds likely :) Kit likes to say: "Move slowly, with full awareness in the body." If you are doing this, then you will not hurt yourself - your body will not let you. No problem at all. We all like to think our ego knows better than our body from time to time :lol: Just take the opportunity to learn from the experience, and let the journey continue!

Keep us up to date on how it goes!

Frustrating, indeed. Of course we never want to hurt ourselves (most of us, anyway) but other things that we do want lead us to do so. I can almost guarantee it will happen again too :lol: No worries. It's an opportunity to learn and grow. Walking is good for pretty much everything, so keep that up and let us know of any developments!

On 1/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, learning_to_stretch said:

Was this simply because I was being too aggressive in trying to straighten the back leg while having a straight back and a posterior tilt?

No doubt! So, now you have a clearer idea on 'how hard is too hard". This is how this works. And in that position, we are having to control many forces; it is a complex task.

I recommend getting back into that stretch as soon as you can; but make sure your weight is partially supported, so you can stop before going too far. Feel how that place above the knee feels—with luck, all you experienced was a bit of fascial creep.

And that video you linked to (Tom Merrick's one): there is almost no extension in his back leg's hip. In my view, it's much better to work on that (hip extension) to be able to distribute the task between both legs; this way the standing lunge becomes an excellent strengthening exercise as well.

Thanks Kit! It's been a few days and I've been cautiously stretching -- first using the couch stretch. When you say more hip extension, are you referring to the idea of keeping the back straight while attempting to straighten the leg? I think in the video Tom is leaning forward a bit, and that lessens the hip extension, correct?

3 hours ago, learning_to_stretch said:

I think in the video Tom is leaning forward a bit, and that lessens the hip extension, correct?

Essentially, yes. For the torso to remain upright as you descend further into the lunge/front split, you will need either extension at the front of the hip or compensation from somewhere else - in the lumbar/lower back for many people. The posterior pelvic tilt that you were focusing on is meant to reduce that compensation in the lower back.

Here is our very own Stretch Jesus (@Emmet Louis) with a much better demonstration of using the long lunge for strengthening the front splits position:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, learning_to_stretch said:

I will have to try that in my next stretch session!

:lol:

Perhaps it would be wise to work on the basic hip flexor lunge stretches for a while since you might have strained something only recently. This can be a very intense stretch. If you do try it, listen to your body very carefully and try not to push your limits. No rush :)

13 minutes ago, Nathan said:

:lol:

Perhaps it would be wise to work on the basic hip flexor lunge stretches for a while since you might have strained something only recently. This can be a very intense stretch. If you do try it, listen to your body very carefully and try not to push your limits. No rush :)

Yes, though I think in the video Emmet demonstrates how you can just start with a higher stance if you're just beginning. That's where I was going to start :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, learning_to_stretch said:

Yes, though I think in the video Emmet demonstrates how you can just start with a higher stance if you're just beginning. That's where I was going to start :)

Indeed, but it can still be intense. But it will get you stronger for sure! Let us know how it goes.

Shout out to @Kit_L solo standing hip flexor as well. But the nice thing on all these is that you can scales them by adjusting the width of the stance as well as the depth. My advice is if coming back from an injury start gentler than you think you need for a couple of weeks then start exploring more depth.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Emmet Louis said:

Shout out to @Kit_L solo standing hip flexor as well. But the nice thing on all these is that you can scales them by adjusting the width of the stance as well as the depth. My advice is if coming back from an injury start gentler than you think you need for a couple of weeks then start exploring more depth.

Thanks Emmet! (and also for your other videos, which I've used for other stretches). Definitely will take it easy.