mario

Another APT/flat feet questions thread

Greetings everyone,

First of all, sorry for starting yet another thread on these issues. I know they have been discussed ad nauseam on these forums. I don't want to be spoonfed answers, but mostly just have someone validate my own research into the matter.

I have written to Kit privately asking about these things and he instructed me to go through a few threads (which lead me to other threads, deeper and deeper) before posting publicly. I got lost in the amount of info (paralysis by analysis I think Kit called it). So below is some info on me, my goals and some sort of a recap of what I gathered during my research. The structure is not great, it's just how I kept things in notepad, but I hope it is understandable.

Me:   I have anterior pelvic tilt, flat feet and a mild case of scoliosis. The APT and the flat feet are the ones bothering me. I am a computer science student (lots of sitting) with an active lifestyle after school (until recently). 

I am recovering from a 3-month IBD flare that saw me lose most of my muscle mass and conditioning (and probably flexibility)
- taking high dose of cortico steroids that I'm slowly tapering off
    => will be taking my training slowly as I build up again: just stretching and bodyweight exercises at first
- before the flare, had been working out consistently for the past 2 years, achieving good conditioning (cardio and boxing for 6 months)
and strength (90/120/140kg Bench/Squat/Deadlift @75kg bodyweight), good thoracic mobility and moderate flexibility in hamstrings and ankle.
- recovery plan is this: 1. stretching, bodyweight exercises 2. cardio 3. return to lifting and 4. boxing training (in this order, slowly adding activies as I feel possible)

Goals:
- General Flexibility
- Fix APT (anterior pelvic tilt)
- Improve/fix flat feet (not sure it can be fixed, but am willing to try)

Good to have:
- improve slight S-shaped scholiosis (not really expecting much, especially without a physical therapist)

- prevent/decrase chance of joint injuries (rotator cuff, elbow, wrist, knees)

Planned solution:
a) Master the squat series
b) Master the backbend series
c) glute strengthening exercises
d) core work
e) this exercise for flat feet:https://youtu.be/XfAJa0yNliM
f) foot drills from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oty317f6ojh27rx/The Foot Drills.pdf?dl=0 (old broken link: http://www.coachr.org/the_foot_drills.htm )
 g) start walking (and eventually running) in minimalist shoes, though I don't have any hills or sand/beach where I live

Questions: 
1. are the above master serieses the right ones for my goal? Or should I swap one or the other out for something else?
2. are the minimalist shoes still going to help me, even though I will be walking mostly on concrete and maybe some grass? (city landscape, no hills/beach, few parks, heavy winter outside)
3. are vibram five fingers the best/only choice, or would a more traditional looking minimalist shoes like the merell trail glove give me similar results?
4. are any of the compound and/or olympic lifts (done with good form) or my boxing training going to be detrimental to my goals?
5. any other tips or fundamentals that I missed out on?

Thank you!

Edited by mario
Updated foot drills link to dropbox

Welcome to the forums, @mario.

Overcoming the APT and strengthening your feet need to be priority #1. Pronating feet most definitely can be overcome, but this will only happen if you make this a priority. Please start there (stretching the hip flexors and quads are essential first steps); these videos are free on YT, as is the foot strengthening video (BTW, your second link, to the foot drills, is broken). Go to the channel and use the search function (quads, hip flexors):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVz3b1bpwQnLYrT_0R8EFog?view_as=subscriber

Once you have got a feel for these, get Master the squat only, and start there. Brief comments on the rest:

Minimalist shoes are fine, but if they have a toe box, you need to wear toe socks with them. The Five fingers are the best choice, IMHO, but work situations prevent them for many people.

Forget Olympic lifting and boxing training for now and concentrate on getting the basic biomechanics right. Both these activities require huge time and energy commitments, and I feel the best use of your time for the next six months will be spent in sorting the basics. Pursuing either of these activities before redressing the basics is inviting injury.

My last point is to concentrate on one thing at a time, and make sure you really have mastered it before moving to the next goal.

Thank you for the advice, Kit. I'll report back on my progress, what worked and what not; perhaps it'll help others in the same situation.

Regarding the broken link, I picked it up from a thread here. Sad to see it got taken down. I saved a backup of the webpage (in pdf format) and I'll edit my first post with the Dropbox link to it. Please let me know if that's against the rules and I'll delete it.

Thanks again!

22 hours ago, mario said:

3. are vibram five fingers the best/only choice, or would a more traditional looking minimalist shoes like the merell trail glove give me similar results?

I've tried FiveFingers and Vivobarefoot. Both would work fine, but Vibram's FiveFingers are superior IMHO.

22 hours ago, mario said:

are any of the compound and/or olympic lifts (done with good form) or my boxing training going to be detrimental to my goals?

Squats and deadlifts could actually help, but Kit is way more knowledgeable than me.

----

I have APT, so I know as a fact that your hip flexors are tight AF. Find a heavy partner and stretch them weekly. If you can't, search on Vimeo for Liv's “Slow Flow” program: there's an excellent solo stretch there.

Thanks @jaja for the input. I will probably go for both the FiveFingers and a toebox minimalist shoe. Gonna use the FF whenever I can and the other pair when social situations preclude the FF. The hip flexors are certainly tight and I have been working on them, but there's still a lot of work to do. I'll ask my partner for help, though heavy wouldn't exactly be a fitting description... perhaps I'll have her carry a rock-filled backpack lol.

I have one more question for you @Kit_L: should running on a treadmill be avoided, considering the flat feet/apt?

After being bedridden for most of the past 3.5 months, my cardiovascular condition hit rockbottom. I started a doing daily brisk walks a couple weeks ago and feel strong enough to start some sort of cardio in the morning, leaving the APT/pronation corrective exercises for the evening: either a couch-to-5k running program, or swimming or indoor rowing (with a machine). Is there any preference among these?

12 hours ago, mario said:

I saved a backup of the webpage (in pdf format) and I'll edit my first post with the Dropbox link to it.

That will be excellent. You might search for the original, too, if you have the time.

8 minutes ago, mario said:

After being bedridden for most of the past 3.5 months, my cardiovascular condition hit rockbottom.

I would leave cardio for now, and concentrate on getting stronger and better coordinated. Also, walking on rough and undulating ground is one of the best exercises of all. I recall you live in an urban area, but consider this a 'once-a-week' hike kind of activity: genuinely rejuvenating (and if wearing FF, will definitely help your feet IF you pay attention to how you are placing your weight on them).

On 12/24/2018 at 6:46 AM, mario said:

3-month IBD

Can you expand on this problem; if I have understood the acronym correctly, this is another reason why I would only walk while you are recovering.

IBD = Inflammatory bowel disease. In my case, ulcerative colitis, is an autoimmune disease that affects part of the colon. The disease itself differs very much from person to person, but for me (a moderate to severe case), it's basically I'm fine for a year or two (under medication), until I have a flare, when I start having up to 10 bleeding stools a day and am extremely fatigued.

The usual treatment during these flares is cortico-steroids (which have a ton of side effects, including accelerated muscle loss and loss of bone density). This, together with anemia (iron deficiency) and being bed ridden for about a month or two means that I'm very weak when the flare ends.

I need to rebuild my body slowly and this time I'd like to do it right from the basics: fix feet/apt and improve general flexibility. Then add bodyweight strength exercises, conditioning (first aerobic, then anaerobic), before finally getting back into lifting and boxing. 

Edit: regarding the original website, I used the wayback machine to get the program, here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160222094315/http://www.coachr.org/the_foot_drills.htm

The important part can be snipped into picture, which I will attach to this post.

foot work drill.PNG

Edited by mario
  • Like 1

The link is not broken - you simply need to remove the www (bad setup on the site owner's part): http://coachr.org/the_foot_drills.htm.

Also, regarding the minimalist shoes: I used to wear nothing but Vibram FF, but I've since switched to wearing Xero sandals almost exclusively. (I do still like VFF for sprinting.) I really love the Cloud model, but they have also recently put out some more conventional closed-shoe designs that look great but have the same super-minimalist soles. I got a pair of the Hana and I can definitely recommend them, although I prefer the sandals, hands down, simply because my feet do not like to be closed inside of anything anymore.

20 hours ago, Nathan said:

The link is not broken - you simply need to remove the www (bad setup on the site owner's part): http://coachr.org/the_foot_drills.htm.

I am the site owner, or did you mean the Dropbox's site owner? Anything we can do at this end for similar links? And thanks for the link to your sandals, too.