RinaS

Wall pec./biceps issues

This stretch is tough for me. When Olivia suggests a small towel, I find myself asking if maybe I need a bath towel. Yes, a small towel brings my shoulder sort of to the wall but the area just below the shoulder is very far from the wall. I am somewhat round shouldered, so maybe that is why. I suspect this stretch is especially important for me and would like to make sure I am doing it correctly. Also, how frequently should I be doing it?

Thanks, Rina  

Hi Rina,

Feel free to use as thick a towel as needed. Whatever thickness allows you to use the correct form and actually produce the desired stretch is the right thickness for you.

5 hours ago, RinaS said:

Yes, a small towel brings my shoulder sort of to the wall but the area just below the shoulder is very far from the wall.

I'm not sure if you're referring to your rib cage or your upper arm, but that's not a problem. If you are following Olivia's instructions you should be able to get the desired stretch regardless of how thick your towel is, and thus how far your rib cage/upper arm is from the wall.

5 hours ago, RinaS said:

I suspect this stretch is especially important for me and would like to make sure I am doing it correctly.

If you still have doubts, posting a photograph of your form would allow us to give you much better feedback.

5 hours ago, RinaS said:

Also, how frequently should I be doing it?

This is really individual, but if you find that this is an important stretch for you, then by all means feel free to do it gently every other day, or even on a daily basis. Don't try to gain new range of motion (ROM) every day, but just get a nice, pleasant stretch. And then every 3-4 days (again, this is just a general guideline - find the frequency that works for you) feel free to add a bit of intensity using contractions and try to get some new ROM.

Let us know how it goes.

Nathan, Thanks for the response. I  am attaching a photograph because I think you are right, it is clearer. Now when looking at it myself, I see that I was not very sideways, but that is the best I can do.

IMG_20181202_142855 (2).jpg

Hi Rina,

Thank you for the picture. Are you using a towel in the picture? I don't think I see it if you are. Just to be clear, it should be filling the space between the front of your shoulder and the wall so that your shoulder has contact with something and is not just out in open space.

22 minutes ago, RinaS said:

Now when looking at it myself, I see that I was not very sideways, but that is the best I can do.

If by sideways you mean that your torso is not turned out away from the wall very much, no problem at all. Wherever you need to be to feel the stretch is the right place to be for your body, right now. This will change in time (and day to day, even).

I deliberately didn't use a towel so that you could see my form clearly. I think I understand now. The towel should only go between the front of my shoulder and the wall, and not the top of the arm or chest that is not touching the wall. Is that correct?

7 minutes ago, RinaS said:

I deliberately didn't use a towel so that you could see my form clearly.

Ah, I see. Thank you :)

7 minutes ago, RinaS said:

I think I understand now. The towel should only go between the front of my shoulder and the wall, and not the top of the arm or chest that is not touching the wall. Is that correct?

That's right. It simply ensures contact between the front of the shoulder and something on the wall if your shoulder does not reach the wall. It's no problem if it touches other areas (if it's a large surface area, for example) as long as it is providing that contact.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

13 hours ago, RinaS said:

Thanks for the clarity. I have been sitting with this problem for a very, very long time.

You're welcome! Let us know how it goes, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions!