Phil5011993

Using exercises from the mastery programs to help with kicking

Hi all

So I am trying to improve my capoeira kicking technique along with moves like the cartwheel. 

I am committing to doing the Thomas Kutz Dynamic Warm Up to help improve my kicking. I might also use some the isometric Stretches including horse squat, as there seems to be a lot of straddley movements in capoeira. 

I am thinking of using some stretches from the pike, pancake and squat mastery program. Squat and pancake are probably the ones that I have spent most of the time with, whereas there is much more to explore on the pike program. 

So my question is, which stretches in your experience seem to help with kicking and have you ever implemented the dynamic stretching routine from Thomas Kutz? If so your experience would be good to know. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil5011993 said:

I am thinking of using some stretches from the pike, pancake and squat mastery program. Squat and pancake are probably the ones that I have spent most of the time with, whereas there is much more to explore on the pike program. 

That's an excellent place to start. A question to ask yourself: which movement plane is the looser for you—front splits or side splits? Both of these require real length in a number of the hip and leg muscles (FS: hamstrings and hip flexors; SS: all adductors, hamstrings, and hip flexors). Depending on your current pattern, I recommend concentrating on the other—by this, I mean if the FS line is looser, then concentrate on the SS lines, and vice versa.

As well, progress the dynamic work slowly in conjunction with what I am suggesting; when becoming more flexible, the total load has to be considered and adapted to. So, your capoeira training, your stretching, and the dynamic Kurz work, and anything else you are doing. Muscle soreness is the thing to watch out for: if it gets too intense, you will need to rest more. Limbering is your friend, then.

I had a go of the lunge hamstring and single leg dog pose yesterday and that definitely feels like I hit a tight line along the hamstring and calves. Plus the fact that I would much rather do horse stance than these other two poses, probably means that I need more work on both of these poses. I have been feeding more tightness there than the abductors.

Horse stance and other middle splits exercises feel a lot nicer. I am probably not going deep enough in the isometric middle split for me to feel it just yet. I got over the fear of practing the isometric middle split in summer, I even managed to hold some weight while I was doing it.

So based on the curent tightness, I think a front split/pike focus on my leg and capoeira days is probably what I will go for. 

On the other days mix it up with shoulder stick mobility and maybe the odd bridge here and there. 

On 9/29/2018 at 7:33 AM, Phil5011993 said:

I hit a tight line along the hamstring and calves

Excellent, because time spent on tight lines is worth more than twice the same time spent on your looser lines. Just why I can't say clearly, but probably something to do with fascia's work in spreading any load sideways; long story. You could add the dancer's split (back leg turned out) to that mix, too.

The lunge hamstring is the one-way street to front splits too, in time. We have added a number of new contractions:

1) standard heel hook

2) standard press front leg away from body into the floor, maintaining knee angle

3) press front of chest/shoulder onto front leg's thigh

4) try to lift front leg away from the floor

5) pull back leg onto floor and into chest

6) scissor both legs together at the same time

Try all of them, and let us know which work the best for you.

• Like 2

Once again I am back to this exercise to help get the last bits of ROM for my front splits, always thought I had enough hamstring flexibility for the splits as I had an easy full pike, but the lunge hamstring still exposes a nice tight line in my hamstrings which I didn’t focus on enough. 

It’s like all these time I had this gem of an exercise, but I still kept playing with full pike and head to toe for hamstring flexibility. I am now entirely sure when I master this exercise that my front splits will see some nice improvements as well.

I tried doing 6 of the contractions back to back, it was not fun ?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dexter said:

but I still kept playing with full pike and head to toe for hamstring flexibility

I feel like H2T is mostly calves if you have decent hamstring flexibility. A really good pike will be a better sign of good hamstring flexibility, but I feel like it's still surprisingly easy to be tight in the outer hamstring line. When it comes to front splits, though, that exact line really snaps into existence ;) Looking forward to seeing your perfect front splits in... what, 2-3 weeks? :lol:

• Like 1

There's no doubt: this is a major exercise. The reason I like it is there's no escape: if you are maintaining good form (square hips, reduced extension in the lumbar spine) then your tightest lines WILL be hit. Don't forget, what makes this a truly excellent hamstring stretch is that the HFs are pulling the lower back perfectly straight (in most other hamstring exercises, especially the pike, the lower back is flexed) and this 'little' difference makes all the difference.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 11:01 PM, Kit_L said:

1) standard heel hook

2) standard press front leg away from body into the floor, maintaining knee angle

3) press front of chest/shoulder onto front leg's thigh

4) try to lift front leg away from the floor

5) pull back leg onto floor and into chest

6) scissor both legs together at the same time

Try all of them, and let us know which work the best for you.

I practice ABSS prog 20 that finishes off, so I tried 1, 2, 3 and 4. 3 and 4 were new to me and felt really good, I felt my hamstring engaged in both and also felt a massive release in my hamstring. 

The lunge hamstring + advanced piriformis are my favourite stretches at the moment, as both seem to just have the right level of intensity. I can feel a significant stretch in hips, gluteus and upper hamstring regions, but no so significant it is uncomfortable.