Dear forum members, I was looking for a way to obtain a baby whale when I noticed that these are no longer for sale (after what looks like a brief stint of international shipping). Will these be available again? Otherwise, I'd be happy to try and build my own, but in that case I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with the correct dimensions (assuming this doesn't infringe on someone's 'intellectual property').

Thanks a lot!

Michaël (from the Netherlands)

I can't comment about future availability, but I know a few people around here have either made their own or toyed with the idea. I believe @Ciaran has made one? The Physical Alchemy crew have had a few made as well, I believe, but I'm not sure if they're actively checking the boards anymore. The curve is based on the golden ratio, but honestly, there are no magical dimensions. Different sizes will be useful in different ways. As long as you make something similar, it will undoubtedly be a fantastic tool to have!

Thanks, Nathan. I should have clarified that I'm interested in knowing its dimensions in terms of height/width/length. The curvature is not my concern, it will shape itself when I work on it :)

Here you go, and I will pin this topic.

whale_side.jpg

whale-bottom.jpg

whale-full.jpg

whale-top.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, a much better use of space than the original! I also like the way the slats have been pinned and glued in, too.

Here are some more references from my model. Built by a guy in Germany. As you are from the Netherlands send me a PM and I can get you in touch. Biggest differences is obviously that it uses bars. I am not sure though if it is worth the additional effort it takes building this thing ? 

M72_2581.JPG

M72_2583.JPG

M72_2582.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 8:11 PM, MarkusO said:

Biggest differences is obviously that it uses bars.

@MarkusO: Sorry to revive such an old post, but I was curious what you think of the round bars vs. the conventional design, which I assume you have also used. I may look into having a few whales built locally, so I'm considering all of the various designs I've seen.

• Like 1

@Nathan I don't feel a big difference. I think it looks nice though. Probably less time consuming to just go for the version posted by Kit and Craig. I have also seen versions where the whole surface was one piece of thin wood but I cannot find a picture right now. If those bars would be spinning however, I think it could be an interesting add-on. ?

• Like 1

@MarkusO Thanks! Yeah, the bars look like they're close enough together that the shape wouldn't actually feel bumpy. But you're probably right about the flat slats requiring less time/effort. A single sheet of wood would be interesting too. Unfortunately, everyone I've talked to here so far has wanted to charge prohibitive prices, so it might be cheaper to just have Cherie ship me some from Australia! 

• Like 1