Shaping the body; adjusting the mind

@Kit_L My legs feel fine. Granted, I didn't cycle all that much (15km total), so maybe the intensity wasn't high enough. I felt fatigue during and immediately afterward the activity, but now my legs aren't sore. As for where I felt the most effort…well, obviously the quads.

1 minute ago, jaja said:

well, obviously the quads

Yes, that's where I feel it if I havent been out for a while, but Im not using click-pedals and have never really taken time to develop a real push/pull pedalling stroke anyway, so probably do way more work on the push 

This morning I couldn't gather the energy to get up early and train at the gym. So I carved a space of time in my afternoon schedule to train at home.

• One ring chin-ups: 3x10 + 1x7
  • One arm KB press: 3x7
  • Ring support hold: 3x30s
    • Not happy with this, not at all
  • Ring dips, arms rotated at the top: 3x7
  • Ring pec stretch
  • Like 1
  • Deadlift: 1x6x120kg + 1x7x107,5kg
  • Overhead press: 1x5x45kg + 1x6x42,5kg + 1x7x40kg
  • Chin-ups: 2x7 + 1x6
    • Chest projected to the sky
  • Lateral raises: 3x10x7kg
  • Dead hang: 1m
  • One arm dead hang: 30s
  • Like 1

Morning:

• Pike push-ups: 3x10
    • I have to say there a good amount of transfer between OHP and this exercise. The tricky thing is scapulae stability, once you got that there're gains to be made.
  • One arm KB press: 3x7x16kg
    • Getting better here

Afternoon:

Outdoor climbing with friends. Of course I had to twist my ankle! Nothing major, I think, but it's annoying as hell and it's my right one. My ankles are weak AF.

Aside from that, I had fun. Yet I had to face my many limitations, it's like I'm a forever beginner.

• Like 1
  • Ankle mobility
    • Wen easy on the right ankle: it still hurts
  • Lumbar stretch
  • Wall HF stretch
  • Wall quad stretch
  • Wall pec minor stretch
  • Passive back bend on baby whale
  • Jaw stretch
  • Like 1
  • One ring chin-ups: 2x10 + 2x8
  • Arch body holds: 3x10
  • Knee raises: 2x8 + 1x6
  • Ring pull-ups: 3x8
  • Ring support hold: 2x40s + 1x30s
  • Ring dips, arms rotated at the top: 2x8+1x7
  • Goblet squat: 3x15x20kg
  • One arm KB press: 2x7x16kg
    • Mmmm odd sensations in my left shoulder. No bueno!
  • Like 1

Skipped the last few logs because I'm really busy these days.

• Ring pull-ups: 3x8
  • Ring support hold: 3x35s
    • Those are hard to progress and easy to regress
  • Ring dips, arms twisted at the top: 3x8
  • Ring push-ups, arms twisted at the top: 3x10s
  • Ring pec stretch
  • Like 1

Quick morning gym session.

• Deadlift: 1x4x125kg + 1x5x112,5kg
  • Lateral raises: 3x10x7,5kg
  • Chin-ups, chest to the sky: 3x7

Had to drag myself out of the bed, but in the end it was worth it.

• Like 1

Nice afternoon spent training at an outdoor gym in the mountains. Tested my grip strength and was happy with the result.

• Chin-ups, chest up to the sky: 3x8
  • Dead hang: 1x2m
  • Ring support hold, arms twisted: 3x30s
  • Ring dips, arms twisted at the top: 3x9
    • Nice! I recorded myself and I could see my form was good
  • Back and forth on monkey bars
  • Random series of pull-ups
  • Like 2

Couldn't make the best out of Sunday because my mother had health issues. Luckily it wasn't something serious, so we could still enjoy the afternoon. I went for a short hike wearing VFF. I brought with me my meditation bench and managed to sit for 30 minutes on top of a slope. I practiced mostly samatha, but at times I expanded my awareness to the sensations around me — and they were many! I was easily annoyed by flies and other insects. After all these years, I still “suck” at meditation. Of course, I know there's no such thing as a failed meditation.

The hike seemingly healed my plantar fascitis and gave me a sunburn in return. But that was far from unexpected. 🙄

My right HF started bothering me during the descent, so as soon as I got home from the mountains I stretched both sides for quite some time. I used the wall HF stretch and the wall quad stretch. A the end of the session my legs were shaking.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So…in the last couple of weeks I still trained (and stretched) more or less regularly, but didn't update the log. I only did calisthenics, though, due to a tight work schedule. This is not good 'cause I'm still paying my gym membership, but also because my legs aren't getting the required attention. I'm going to fix this.

• Deadlift: 1x5x125kg + 1x6x112,5kg
  • Chin-ups (chest to sky): 2x7 + 1x6
  • Overhead press: 1x6x42,5kg + 1x7x41,5kg + 1x8x40kg
  • Lateral raises: 3x10x8kg

Overall, I still progressed in strength despite not training this exercises for quite a while. Since none of the calisthenics I do can substitute the deadlift, it might mean I don't need to train the movement weekly to get stronger. I'll probably keep doing it, though, because I like it. OHP: in of the biggest surprises in the post-lockdown. Pike push-ups are a more than decent substitute for this; I just need to re-learn how to brace properly and contract hard the glutes. Speaking of which: I'm noticing a far better glute activation during the exercises that target them. Maybe it's the HF stretch, maybe not, but it's a welcome feeling. I've a damn fine piece of ass (or at least I've been told so), but it's mainly thanks to genetics, I don't think I've much strength there. This has to change.

On other news: I badly need a heavy stretching partner. I can't find anyone willing to try and the new covid rules in my gym make impossible to ask random people.

• Like 1

Indoor bouldering session (2h or so), opened by a warm up at rings and finger board. My finger strength is sub par and it shows a lot. Overall I find climbing humiliating because I always look like a fool. Too weak, poor mobility and technique. Yet, I keep doing it.

• Like 1
  • Squat: 3x6x100kg
    • I'm not used to the exercise anymore and it shows: legs were quite tired afterwards
  • Bent over row: 3x5x50kg
    • Weight didn't feel heavy, I tried to keep good form and get a grasp of the exercise.
  • Pull-ups: 3x6
    • I actually attempted a muscle up at the beginning, but I'm still not strong enough. Sigh.
  • Lateral raises: 1x10x8kg + 1x6x10kg + 1x10x8kg
    • Tried a moderate increase in weight, but it was too much to keep proper form with a decent number of reps
  • Like 1
  • One ring chin-ups: 3x10 + 1x9
    • Meh
  • Ring arch hangs: 3x10
  • Ring support hold: 3x40s
    • Too much instability for my taste in the left arm
  • Ring dips, arms twisted at the top: 2x10 + 1x9
    • Failed that last 10th rep, sigh
  • Playing with ring muscle up
    • The issue I have is with the transition, just before the dip part. I don't have the required strength in the joints, or maybe I just have poor technique.
  • Ring pec stretch
  • Like 1
On 7/19/2020 at 12:07 AM, jaja said:

Indoor bouldering session (2h or so), opened by a warm up at rings and finger board. My finger strength is sub par and it shows a lot. Overall I find climbing humiliating because I always look like a fool. Too weak, poor mobility and technique. Yet, I keep doing it.

Nothing quite like solving a hard problem though, eh?

• Like 1

Spent the whole day hiking at a nearby location with some Twitter friends. I chose a path I recalled as easy, but apparently it was a challenge for my fellow companions. However, the view and the sense of achievement were worth the effort. Here's a pic of our final destination.

• Like 1
  • One ring chin-ups: 4x10
    • I can't seem to progress, those are damn hard
  • Ring pull-ups: 3x6

• Wall HF stretch
    • Better than the previous times, something is starting to change!
  • Wall quad stretch
    • Same as above
  • Ankle mobility
  • Lumbar stretch
  • Tailor pose stretch