Introducing myself and some favourite books

Ed Heddle

Hey folks!

I've been lurking in the ST forums for some time now, and I just love reading all the wise things that people write. I figure it's about time to introduce myself: my name is Ed, I'm fanatic rock climber; I'm currently doing my PhD in jazz piano. I've been working on flexibility of body and mind for the past several years (lots of yoga, stretch therapy stuff, and, recently, a meditation practice).

I thought I'd mention some books that have made a big impression on me in the past few years:

• The Self-Coached Climber — Dan Hague and Douglas Hunter (this got me thinking more clearly about movement in a climbing context, and then this awareness has been "leaking" out into the rest of my life)
  • Zen in the Art of Archery — Eugen Herrigel (I've done a cursory search of the forums, and I'm surprised to see that no-one has mentioned this text; I highly recommend it)
  • Infinite Jest — David Foster Wallace (I really enjoyed this; there are absolutely sensational passages of writing within)
  • The Perfect Wrong Note — William Westney (this is one of the texts that got me thinking about music practice in a more wholistic way)
  • Goodbye, Things — Fumio Sasaki (Sasaki is a minimalist chap and his book has definitely got to question my relationship with things)
  • Sapiens — Yuval Noah Harari (just great)

Currently reading, or will read soon:

• Peak — Anders Ericsson and Robert Pool
  • Antifragile — Nassim Nicholas Taleb
  • The One-Straw Revolution — Masanobu Fukuoka
  • Homo Deus — Yuval Noah Harari
  • All the cool posts on these forums

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hey Ed,

Welcome! Rock climbing and jazz piano is a great combination! Lots of room for improvisation in both :D And thanks for the recommendations. My list of books to read seems to only grow longer. Doesn't help that it's not easy to get my hands and cheap English books where I live. Luckily the cool posts on these forums are free to read :lol:

What a fabulous list!  Many of which I already own, or had in my Goodreads "Want to Read" list, and a few that I've now added.

Particularly interested in "The Perfect Wrong Note".  It has plenty of overlap into areas that greatly interest me right now, as we contemplate our 3yo's impending home-schooling, un-schooling, village-schooling, or some combination thereof.