Olga

On 12/12/2017 at 4:30 AM, Jim Pickles said:

I've cleaned up some pages a bit to get rid of the illogicalities, before doing a more fundamental revamp.

The menu looks more structured but still overcrowded - an inconsistent: on the Classes Page there are 7 submenu items under Dance and only 6 on the Home page (by way of an example).

Another consideration, do you really need to keep all this stuff in one website? What is the purpose of this website - an online filing cabinet (for you) or a presentation of your as a XXXX to the internet audience? If second, then perhaps you could move your dance photos to a separate photo-hosting site or a WP photo-based blog and keep the Stretching info in its own separate place. If first (filing cabinet for yourself) then it is entirely up to you how to organise and present it... only do not expect other people to "get it" and to understand the content.

If I were your webdesigner, this is the first thing I'd ask: what kind of site are you trying to make? Begin with the end in mind.

@SwissDanny and @Olga - many thanks for your comments. SwissDanny - I understand now. To Olga: I think those menu items are inconsistent because of a programming problem in Compozer - I couldnt get the spacing right on the last item in the Dance/Performance menu, so had to delete it... obviously, not a satisfactory solution.

As to the purpose of the site - as Olga implies, it is doing multiple things. 1. It is a repository of what I get up to in a number of areas - for instance, while I was still working, there were many pages on hearing and the research I'd been doing (now outdated, so deleted). 2. A way in for people looking for classes. 3. A repository of the performance stuff.

In fact, in spite of what you say, I think it is a good idea to have them all together - because I know that people go from section to section and are interested in what they find. For instance, performing is one aspect that brings people to the classes site. So for the splits class, it is good for people to see that this is what I can do myself (I walk the walk, etc). People who come here are also interested that I was a scientist. I think the separation is quite clear from the side menu, as they are under different sections there. When I started it, there werent the photo-hosting sites that there are now - and even if I used them, I would have links from this site to them, so the head pages wouldnt look too different. Also many of the performance pages and photos are indexed in search engines and I dont want to break that.

Yes its still crowded by modern standards - I could reduce the text in the centre, or get rid of the pictures on the right which add decoration (but also give an introduction to who I am). So I have resisted deleting them so far, but that is still under consideration.

I think I should talk to a professional webdesigner, because clearly I dont have the eye for how people see pages nowadays. And satsifying all what I want to do at once may not be that easy.

@Kit_L However, as Olga's original post on a different topic has been hijacked by issues of web design, I wonder if it would be a good idea to start a separate thread on that - where people can show their pages for comment etc? I am not starting that one myself because I think it needs an editorial decision as its moving away from the main purpose of this site. But it would be a more appropriate place for some of these comments - and because for so many people a web page is a critical portal into their teaching, it would be valuable to those who teach.

Thanks,

Jim.

1 hour ago, Jim Pickles said:

@Kit_L However, as Olga's original post on a different topic has been hijacked by issues of web design, I wonder if it would be a good idea to start a separate thread on that - where people can show their pages for comment etc? I am not starting that one myself because I think it needs an editorial decision as its moving away from the main purpose of this site. But it would be a more appropriate place for some of these comments - and because for so many people a web page is a critical portal into their teaching, it would be valuable to those who teach.

Thanks,

Jim.

I second that - this thread "feedback on my site" could fit well under Promoting Our Work. We could also collect links and addresses of ours on Instagram, Facebook etc so we don't have to work hard to find each other on Social Media )))

• Like 2

Everyone, I have moved Jim's posts and connected posts here, and likewise Olga's. There is no way of reordering moved posts in this software, as far as I can see, so please let me know if you all can makes sense of this.

@Olga

@Jim Pickles

@SwissDanny

@Nathan

@oliviaa

Thanks to Olga (#StretchTherapyAngel, henceforth!) for the creation of this thread.

• Like 3

Thanks @Kit_L! I think it's fine, although the first post is a bit sudden. I think if @Olga edited her post and added a line or two of explanation it would be no problem. Actually, she could even just delete the first line about the skiing bit and it would be much less likely to confuse anyone new to the thread.

6 hours ago, Nathan said:

Thanks @Kit_L! I think it's fine, although the first post is a bit sudden. I think if @Olga edited her post and added a line or two of explanation it would be no problem. Actually, she could even just delete the first line about the skiing bit and it would be much less likely to confuse anyone new to the thread.

Done!

• Like 1

In the meantime, I largely finished my own website update. Key changes:

-split into two separate sites, one for German and another one for English (by way of subdomain)

- got through many hours of SEO-tutorials (free month membership, so free) on Skillshare.com. I can post here those I found most useful

- ran many tests via SEO-related tools available for free on internet, starting from Google Search Console and sites like MOZ

- updated pages and texts for both DE and EN sites based on what I learnt in those tutorials: keywords, internal links, headers etc - ON PAGE SEO

- started to work on OFF PAGE SEO like building links to my site, getting listed wherever possible.

now waiting for millions of clicks of traffic :D:D:D

• Like 2

@Olga Looks good - I was just wondering (on this and the earlier iteration) whether a serif font is the right thing for the body of the text. It used to be said that sans-serif was better for headings, and a serif font for the body of the text, as the serifs helped guide the eye. However now I see sans-serif fonts commonly used in the body of text, and we are used to it. I dont think the serif font you have used helps the eye as it should. It is better on the English site than the German one, as the text isnt so dense on the English one.

What is the font, by the way? If I paste it into a Word document it comes out as Times New Roman which everyone says is very good for running text - but I think it changes in pasting (there are some differences). So I am not really sure, but it has struck me every time I've seen your German page.

• Like 1

@Jim Pickles The fonts is where I spent minimum time contemplating and deciding - as you said, I used simple rule of thumb serif for the body text, sans serif for headings. Have you tried running this on the mobile phone too? I had to check both versions and I got OK within 10 min of trying different fonts, and left it there. The fonts come as part of the Premium WP Theme called Antenna, all of them are fancy and there is no the usual ones like Times New Roman or Arial. So I picked the least fancy fonts ))) Attached below.

fonts.jpg

Thanks for letting me know. I wont say more, as I think its a matter of personal taste. I do like the Alegreya Sans above, and less so the Merriweather. I notice that Alegreya Sans has relatively bigger ascenders (the bits of the letter that rise up), as does Times New Roman, whereas Merriweather has smaller ones. Larger ascenders (and descenders) are thought to increase the readability of text. However, I've said enough, as its a minor point, though font choice is a very interesting topic in itself.

Jim.

11 hours ago, Olga said:

- got through many hours of SEO-tutorials (free month membership, so free) on Skillshare.com. I can post here those I found most useful

Please; that will be very useful, I am sure.

Fonts are extremely interesting to me, personally; and readers may have noticed that I usually go the extra step of changing my post fonts here to Verdana. This is one of the oldest fonts in the modern era, and especially built for legibility for the screen (in contrast to printing fonts) and my preference (a strong preference) is for transparency: I want readers to engage with content, not style.

In olden days (before the net, and for the net's first ten years) many believed that serifed fonts added probity, reliability, and 'weight' to one's posts. The story of Times New Roman illustrates this beautifully, I believe. But with the majority of people interacting with our sites by phone these days, I think it's safe to say all this has changed. Even though my books all used Palatino and the first ones were printed on real printing presses, I would not use serifed fonts on a site. On Stretchtherapy.net, we have gone for the cleanest, most transparent look we can find (and by "transparent" I mean making choices that engage the reader with content as fast as possible).

Liv chunked all the information on the site too (a few relevant words containing the broad thrust of the content, then a more hyperlink that takes the reader deeper in if desired). Explicitly, this was intended to cater to modern readers who find blocks of text challenging (or off-putting). We found this an interesting intellectual exercise, and it took less time than I anticipated.

The best books I have read on this broad subject are still relevant: Steve Krug's "Don't make me think", and some others; these prescriptions are platform and software independent and deserve reading, I feel. The structure of all WordPress-driven sites do already have this architecture built in, for the most part.

• Like 1

I agree, fonts are fascinating - though unfortunately for me life is too short to give them the study they deserve. Fascinating because they simultaneously touch on such extremely different areas - aesthetics, history, readability (under different circumstances), social implications, etc. A real blend of science and art, where both aspects are equally important and cannot be ignored.

And, yes, I've noticed that your postings come out in Verdana, which is nicer than the Calibri I favour as a standard basic sans-serif font - though I have just noticed (because I pasted your last post into Word on a PC to do some checking) that Verdana in Word on a PC looks nicer than in my browser. Maybe Firefox is taking some short cuts. Also maybe on a Mac you are getting a different experience again.

Jim.

(PS - though having done screen shots to compare Word and Firefox Verdana, I think it may be a scaling issue - the characters slightly change proportions and weights at different sizes.)

22 hours ago, Kit_L said:

Please; that will be very useful, I am sure.

I have posted three links to courses just a couple of posts above. I am attaching a few downloads from those courses that are relevant and may be of interest.

Additional Information to Add to Your Images.pdf

List of Position - Rank Tracker Tools.pdf

stepbystep_SEO_Reader.pdf

Back Link Analysis and Link Outreach Tools.pdf

Competition Analysis Tools (Free & Premium).pdf