I am Brazilian and therefore speak Portuguese. Let me know if I can help you out. Our population is over 200 million.

P.S: Brazilian accent and colloquial language are different from those used in Portugal and its former colonies. That is why all Hollywood movies have "PT-BR" and "PT" subtitles.

Thanks Anthony,

I did make contact with Ben; have heard nothing yet. And thank for the other link too; not sure we have the time to do all that, but will look at it.

I saw this topic in October and was thinking it is so relevant to me as my husband and I have just opened a ST in Malaysia in September. Since we have been very busy in the last 4 months with the new centre, I have not come back to this topic until now.

I am looking at this topic with 3 angles. Firstly, the product concerned, i.e the ABS, the format, technologies, language, etc.

Secondly, the marketing, the big picture (macro), using of technologies, social media, etc. to promote the ST system/the product.

I will not touch on the first 2 angle as much has been discussed.

The third angle concerns we as teachers/practitioners. In my opinion, we need to improve our online and physical presence, not only relying on posts by the Principal. At the moment, the Vimeo, YT, are pretty much featuring Kit’s work. We need teachers and students out there to increase posts on our own experiences as teachers as well as students.

It has been rather challenging for us in Malaysia as ST is virtually unheard of except for those who have attended Kit and Patrick Keaney's retreats in a couple Buddhist monastery/centre.

We started by inviting friends and family for free preview class, then we go through list of our contacts (I have close to a thousand contacts in my contact list. I believe it is common for Asian, ex Japan, to have so many contacts), inviting them to join our intro workshops. Initially, using Whatsapp messages, then we designed nice flyers with Canva, which improve the results significantly. We have also organised a couple of free classes in a Buddhist centre. To date, we have organised 11 workshops with close to 100 attendees. It is a lot of hard work as we have to do all the work, we have no helper, except a cleaner who help clean the centre.

We have found FB to be useful. We didn’t have it in the first 2 months. We have found people are attracted to photographs and flyers. We haven’t started IG yet, we simply do not have time for it yet.

At times, I feel lonely doing it all alone here in Malaysia but thanks to the Forum and correspondences with Cherie, both always lift my spirits.

I think we all know we have a great system to teach. In my opinion, we need to reach out more to reach the tipping point. I believe vast majority of human operates by following the herd, which is the reason they go to the gym/yoga/pilates/etc because so many are doing that. The more centre and classes we have, the more we can reach out.

I just did a Google search of Stretch Therapy Singapore and Stretch Therapy Hong Kong and did not see any of our ST teachers listed on the first page (searched at 3.40pm, 15 Jan 18). As a new teacher, I urge all ST teachers in the world to actively promote ourselves. Start with a simple website, FB, IG, (one at a time and in that order) or other platforms like LinkedIn and promote your service actively. I will be following some of the advice posted in the forum on this. (Thanks for all the tips!). If all of us do that, we can reach out, there will be more posts to share, instead of spending time to generate our own only. The Forum is excellent, but unfortunately, it wouldn’t reach  out to “those millions of people who need our work, but do not know about it”.

I think someone mentioned that we start a group in FB, I think that’s a great idea. The ST FB can stay as it is. The new group could be a more casual site with people sharing their experience and progress in their practice.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 8:59 PM, Wai said:

As a new teacher, I urge all ST teachers in the world to actively promote ourselves.

This is critical, everyone. The marketplace  is increasingly crowded, and the task that I set for us in the first post (how to get our work known to a new audience, not spamming our friends and contacts!) remains. And Wai's other big point, that we are, or can, reach a tipping point is also timely, and very important. This can only happen if we all get involved. I am not sure though that yet another ST FB page will help. Much more useful, I believe, if you all contribute to the existing ST FB page. I know I am a bit slack on this front (plus I dislike the FB interface) but both Liv and I are doing more in that space and on Instagram as well.

Please do whatever you all need to do so that we (Liv and I, the admins of the FB ST Page) see you, know you, and urge us to respond to your posts.

I do have some information now on how FB advertising works. Liv and I have a list of subscribers to our site (and from Vimeo, and from here) that is around 4,000 people. We will use this list to grow what are called "look-alike" audiences (so, in fact, the very people we are looking for: like our group, but not in our group) and we will be starting campaigns that target this new group soon.

And please share anything we send you with the widest groups you can: one of these efforts can push us over the tipping point, I believe. And doing so will have benefits for all of us. Getting the Stretch Therapy name known, in a good way, is the goal.

• Like 2

FB has an algorithm that assesses how high on your feed a particular post will be.  You as a poster have a ranking.  If you have made posts in the past that many people clicked on, then your future posts are more likely to be higher on peoples' feeds.  The algorithm also assesses whether a particular user would like to see your post or not.

Some way's to get scored higher by the algorithm are to tag people and to include video and images as well as text.

The way to override the algorithm is to pay for a "promotion".  Of course Facebook wants you to do this.  They want as many people as possible to pay for promotions and advertisements.  I have only used promotions on events and posts.  That means that my event/post appears higher on people's feeds that I have targeted. I target on location and preference for health/fitness/yoga interests.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Kit_L said:

I am not sure though that yet another ST FB page will help. Much more useful, I believe, if you all contribute to the existing ST FB page

You need both. People need their own pages to communicate to their own students and present their own material. I want to be able to announce my own classes and other things without going through the main ST FB page. Think of those pages as multipliers. The more pages share your news in their local network the more reach you get. Ideally you want to be the mothership and have plenty of little surrounding satellites that promote and share your work. I think it would help though if all those pages would have similar naming and visual appearance. It should be easy to identify that an ST page belongs to the ST network. That could be done using naming conventions and a certain style of logo, for example. But this is all details. Let me go back a step.

18 hours ago, Kit_L said:

Much more useful, I believe, if you all contribute to the existing ST FB page.

I agree that it can be useful to promote teachers, share insights of other teaches and so on. But as we say in Germany, too many cooks spoil the broth. In terms of (Facebook) marketing I strongly believe that you need a solid strategy to succeed. This goes far beyond using Facebook advertising from time to time. I am not a Facebook marketing expert but here is what I think after having had a little glance at the whole situation:

- "Boosting" Facebook posts did not work for me. I have heard this from other places so I think this option can be ignored. Use the Ad interface instead.

- Your page lives by its posts. People want to see some interesting material from time to time. The lunge hamstring stretch post you just posted today is a great example of what I would expect to see if I did not know what ST is about. This creates enough interest to go to ST.net and check out the material. I think it would be even better to directly write such posts using the ST page and not share Kits post. If I scroll through your Facebook page I see however not so many of these posts but a lot of shared events. It might be worth to mix things up a little to have some more informational posts from time to time. Other ideas for posts could be before and after pictures, presenting new teachers, informing people about products or just giving them some little stretching info from time to time. Without giving all your information away for free of course. Those posts should be teasers, maybe once a week or so.

- Use the point described above to market the absolute beginners stretching series before it arrives. From time to time post some before/after pictures or insight what people can expect. Build up some pleasant anticipation for the program. "This is John, John has had tight hamstrings. John used the stretches from the absolute beginners stretching series and look at him now!", (maybe not as trashy as that but you get the idea :) )

- Visual identity: I might be biased here as a professional in that field but increasing the general quality of visual material on the FB page might be worth considering. Especially if you want to reach that tipping point. Your video material is top notch but from a marketing perspective I would also invest in building a recognizable visual identity. I think the Fighting Monkey guys are doing a really good job here if you want to see an example. This could be as easy as having a template design for workshop announcements so that all your material looks clean and is uniquely identifiable: The workshop images, the absolute beginners series cover image, etc. I am happy to help you out here, just let me know.

If I gain any other insights, I keep you posted.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MarkusO said:

You need both.

I may be off here, but I think you misunderstood Kit. (He will correct me if I am wrong!) I am sure Kit has nothing against ST teachers creating their own FB pages. I have a feeling his comment about one FB page being enough was in reply to this:

On 2018/1/15 at 6:59 PM, Wai said:

I think someone mentioned that we start a group in FB, I think that’s a great idea. The ST FB can stay as it is. The new group could be a more casual site with people sharing their experience and progress in their practice.

But I do agree that his wording was a bit confusing, because we cannot contribute to the official ST page in any real capacity beyond sharing and commenting. I know Kit is not a FB fan, so perhaps he is not aware of the differences in how pages and groups work. Most of the talk in this thread has been about pages, which are kind of like a person or business's official presence. A group, on the other hand, is basically FB's version of a simplified forum. I agree that a FB group for ST could be useful and would likely attract some different people, but my guess is that Kit's issue with it would be the fragmentation of ST-related discussion (away from these forums). A classic forum like this one is much more useful as a collection of information because of the layout and search capabilities. Of course, you could argue that true forums are (fast becoming?) a thing of the past, so the question is how long do you push for the use of the more helpful choice as opposed to the most current/popular modality.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2018 at 2:51 AM, MarkusO said:

I am happy to help you out here, just let me know.

@MarkusO: Yes please!

Do I need to say any more? We will be making major changes to our site's Home Page; I have been working on an ebook too (more on this later, ad how it relates to marketing) and much much more. Sorry to sound a bit vague, but it seems that these pages here have been feeding plagiarism by some outsiders. 

And @Nathan: yes, I want all ST teachers to create their own pages and as soon as they are up, let us know by email, not here. 

On 2/11/2018 at 1:34 PM, Nathan said:

perhaps he is not aware of the differences in how pages and groups work

Agree 100%, so again, please email me about any of these sorts of things. I do understand about the FB difference between a 'profile' and a 'page', but not about groups; if you email me about this privately, I will facilitate setting up a group.

Liv and I both have profiles (in fact, you can't start a Page, a business entity, without a profile, which is what I wanted to do originally) and I set up the Stretch Therapy Page. We will be changing the look of this, too, soon.

Last for now: If we crack the marketing code for the main site, I will be writing extensively here about this.

• Like 1

Hi, just a bit of update from my last post

On 1/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, Wai said:

I urge all ST teachers in the world to actively promote ourselves

I have taken a step back and contacted the print media. We do a mini ST workshop every month and we plan to invite one journalist at a time to join the workshop.This usually followed by an interview. So far, one daily has already printed our story, please see attached. We provided a press kit with our interpretation of ST. The paper's article is pretty closed to the materials we provided both in the press kit and interview. We have modified our press kit since and will see what the next article will look like.

Print media is almost forgotten channel in our discussions here. The results so far is better than FB! Perhaps this is a country specific trend but it worth trying especially for those country where ST is new.

Sun epaper 20190222.pdf

• Like 4

Have just looked through the programme. Cool stuff and thank you for it. 

I don't know whether there is already something going on concerning the implementation of translated audio files in other languages. I just want to add: Even if I like this approach - and I like it more than just subtitles - I still think that subtitles should be available; just think of those people, who cannot hear. And I still can offer my time to do (or to help with) the translation work into german, if needed.

• Like 3

Not forgotten, Florian, but we just have too much on at the moment. Please remind me once part 3 is done, dusted, and released (about three weeks).

• Like 2