Dexter

Dexter's Rubber Man Project

@Dexter nice! Do you ever feel any discomfort being close to the end range though? Personally I do one session a week where I'm nowhere close to it but still working isometric sets, and one where I try to gradually get closer, but still not really there (fear of injury). Do you hold the same position for an entire set or do several reps within each set where you gradually go further down? My goal I suppose is what he advocates, to increase the holding time gradually (although if 3 minutes will be the set goal I have no idea).

@Jonas W I basically go to my maximum range but still a position I am able to hold actively. No discomfort, though when I first started working side splits, I would always get a discomfort in the TFL area, which is why I always use a lacrosse ball on my TFL and glute medius area now before stretching side splits.

I do a few short contract-relax cycles every set until I get to my maximum and then I start counting towards my isometric. I would say to just work your isometric at a range where you feel safe, but also where it is a bit uncomfortable, its supposed to be hard work :lol:

• Like 4

@Dexter, who was on a recent workshop in Singapore: a perfect, perfect pancake; there are images on FB (ST page) but the end position was not shot. Dexter had a completely flat back, with a slight tail untuck—so a slight lumbar extension; this is so rarely seen. Congratulations!

• Like 4

Excellent!

Did Kit grab your rib cage at the top of the abdominals and pick you up from behind? Because he did that to me and I just about died :lol:

• Like 1

That's the one! Hahahaha. Sounds brutal, but can be powerfully affecting. I have had it done on me, and it allows an experience of abdominal relaxation that very few other exercises can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I'll need to do some more work in that area before I can experience anything close to relaxation... I felt far more panic there than I did with the good Dr. Beck sitting on me in the partner hip flexor stretch :lol: Unfortunately, my wife isn't strong enough to pick me up by my ribs, so I'll just have to improvise until the next workshop ;)

On a related note, I've recently begun noticing some tightness deep down behind the lower left ribs while lying over the baby whale and I've been trying to work my fingers in behind the ribs to apply some SMR. Not sure how smart that is, but it seems to slowly be allowing me to actually get in there!

• Like 1

On 31/08/2017 at 9:09 AM, Dexter said:

Also learned two more stretches that really gets into the forearm, these are just variations of the floor pec/bicep stretch with additional wrist extension/flexion. I believe the pictures are on the FB Stretch Therapy page. Been bothered by golfer's elbow for the past two months, it is still not 100% gone, but I believe in time the pain will just disappear. In the meantime I would just continue with the two stretches as they really loosened up the entirety of my forearms.

I’ve been suffering with golfer elbow recently, either the very early stages of it or something similar. Please could you share the forearm stretches? I don't have Facebook (I know, I'm odd).

You could ask someone who does use FB to download that sequence of images for you, or you could get a copy of Overcome neck & back pain; the full sequence is described and photographed there. It is too complex to describe simply, but the images make it reasonably clear (if you heard the instructions). 

@Spud Sorry for the late reply. Phone went crazy and I lost all my data... including some valuable workshop videos ?.

And like Kit mentioned you might want to check out the books for detailed instructions for the stretch, but basically it is like the image below, if you extend your wrist in the position, and slowly rotate your little finger side towards the floor, it strongly stretches the forearm flexors.U8vSrUN.jpg

• Like 2

Life has been busy, but training still goes on!

An interesting observation I made lately, I noticed my right hip is again giving me a bit of issues when training leg apart movements like pancake. If I warm up into it, my straddle on the floor is really wide, but trying to open them when cold is just so uncomfortable even at just half the ROM. The might be an issue with the tilting of the pelvis when sitting down on the floor when cold, as doing a standing good morning where I fold at the hips have no issues whatsoever. With that being said, piriformis still feels as tight as ever. Might be the case where it is working hard in sidesplits and pancake all the time that it doesn't really get the chance to loosen up. 

Another observation is that after training leg apart movements, I think my piriformis on the right side gets so uncomfortable that I cannot get into a pike without feeling the discomfort.

Have been a bit of annoyance as I'm currently training for press handstands, so I'm actively straddling and piking all the time. 

And some good news, after a year of stretching hip flexors, they seem to be finally getting somewhere :lol:. Here's a pic of me doing the long lunge that I saw from Emmet's youtube page. 

I also got certified as a Stretch therapy teacher back in Singapore just last month! Working on trying to introduce ST to Brunei where I come from. There will be some limitations on how this will work out as it is a Muslim country. Physical contact between the different genders is not allowed so it will be very important in getting an equal amount of males and females when I start introducing partner work. But no point worrying in things that has not happened yet, for now I am looking to rent a place in studios to start my very first class. The challenge will be to convince people to signup for weekly classes as almost no one has heard of ST before around here. Checkout my FB page for ST Brunei: https://www.facebook.com/stretchtherapybrunei/. Any feedback would be appreciated :).

• Like 2

Man times flies, last updated this log back in October last year!

Going to share some realizations from training over the months:

1)Used to have to warmup quite a bit before I start practicing my press handstands for the day as I feel they help me get into better positions, but over the months of practicing I now don't really even stretch my hips and could still get some quality reps of press handstands in. Simply by using the position daily during the press really helped reinforce the position I feel. However shoulder mobility is still lacking, still not satisfied with my line, just can't seem to open up that last bit of shoulder flexion. 

2)Also felt the need to release my TFL every single time before I stretch for middle splits and pancake, but after taking a break from those 2 elements, I think the TFL has calmed down. Retested horse stance after all these months, and happy that 7 step is still very manageable, though the back has to lean forward a certain amount, so not perfectly vertical at 7 step width. Middle splits has regressed a bit, but I'm fairly certain it would come back rather quickly when I do get back on it. Full middle splits are one of the goals for the year.

3)Full front splits with hips squared also one of the goals for this year. I'm getting close to full touchdown soon(hips not perfectly squared), with once a week training. I enjoy doing daily ballistic stretching for most body parts I want to get flexible at, but with time issues I stuck to once a week stretching for front splits and could still feel progress so that's cool.

4)Full bridge on floor is what I REALLY want this year. I'm wondering the level of hip extension needed to do a bridge comfortably on the floor. If I could do full front splits, would it mean I have enough hip extension to do a full bridge from the floor?

Lastly, I'm contemplating whether to again start head to toe for at least 45 days, the last time I finished that cycle, my calves got super flexible for months, up to the point where I could do SLDP and feel almost nothing from the calves. I stopped around the level of legs elevated to hip level for head to toe the last time,  maybe I can try for head to toe with one leg elevated above the head this time? :P

• Like 1

I can do a full bridge (or could, haven't done them in a while), and wasn't able to do front splits. So yeah.

• Like 1