Ballistic Stretching Questions

Hallo!!!

Just a quick question regarding ballistic stretching. I've been doing the 17 minute bonus Pancake video (part of Liv's Slow Flo 2 VOD) every night for the last three weeks with amazing results. At the end of the video I do three sets of ballistics where I attempt to get my chin to the ground (which I now can).

Question, using my chin to touch the ground (head facing forward not down) I'm more likely to keep the back flat and rely on correct pelvic rolling, is this correct? also, with my chin now on the floor is my next target chest to floor?

2nd question, is it silly/insane to want to work on both front splits, side splits and pancake ballistic methods everyday or is this really going to tear shit up for the worse in the longterm? Would an alternative be doing 90 days focusing on each individually? if so, has anyone seen loss of mobility from one when moving onto another?

3rd and final question, Craig is there a copy of your Ballistic Stretching protocol VOD video anywhere that I can purchase? It seems to have been taken down. Does it also focus on multiple ballistic movements or just one?

Thank you all so much! I get so much from ST and love how helpful of a community you are
X

Hi Welshy,

There are a number of threads on ballistics (a few pinned, I believe) that will answer most of your questions. I'd suggest giving them all a read as you'll find lots of other nuggets in there too. But to briefly address your questions:

First question: There is no "correct" target. If you are getting your ROM from movement at the pelvis and not the back, then whatever is working for you is fine. Chest should be a fine next target.

Second question: There is no correct answer here, either. You'll see this in the aforementioned threads. Some have done long periods of daily ballistics for practically the whole body, while others may find that even one is too much. You will have to find out how your own body responds. As long as you work with your body, you will be fine. As for losses when putting something aside, that is simply how it works. The body is all about adaptation, and almost none of those adaptations are permanent. (Thank goodness!)

Third question: piotro gave you the updated link. The video features multiple ballistic movements.

Again, those threads are a gold mine. Spend some time reading through them, experiment to find out how your own body responds, and then let us know how it goes.

Hi Welshy,

Direct link here: http://tutorials.awarerelaxedconnected.com.au/programs/ballistic-stretching

Nathan is spot on with his answering of the rest of your questions. Personally i have so many other things to do in my practice, so these days I tend to do the one thing for 30 to 90 days, rotating each period to something new.

Thank you so much guys! Much appreciated. Craig, when pay day comes I'll check out that ballistic video. I think I'll focus on just one set of each movement to save time and get the best spread. Id rather get slower but more even and comprehensive gains than focus on one and compromise others.

craig, is your shi Dan pa a good thing to do everymorning after for example, my limbering and 5 sun saltations?! Reason I ask is that I just like to warm the body up but not really do any "exercise" before breakfast. How intense is it?!

It depends on your situation. It's pretty light for me these days but i remember it being pretty intense when I started. I regularly used it as the very first thing when I was training, kind of like a warm up, but in Chinese training they usually use their foundational exercises both as a warm up and a good time to drill basics ever day.

Best if you try it for yourself, go easy to begin with!