Overcome back pain program imminent; some questions from Kit

Kit_L

Hello all,

Miss O and I have been working hard on this program; it is finished. 

Ahead of making it available to all, I want as much advice as possible from the truly web-savvy here on the Forums.

The questions is, in addition to our email list (some of you have signed up for it and get the occasional update from us accordingly), the two Facebook presences, and me making contact with people like Marta (Living Limitlessly), Justin Goodhart (Well Rounded Athlete) Sean Mapoles (Move Strong Club) and my friend Ryan Hurst (GMB), what are people's suggestions to make the huge number of people out there who need this program aware of its existence?

All suggestions gratefully received!

TIA, KL

• Like 1

I vote reddit too. But do it the form of a mini ask me anything focused on the product rather than just a straight up post.

I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Reddit tends to be really hostile towards anything perceived as advertising. Just posting the info will net you plenty of visibility on /r/bodyweightfitness at least.

• Like 1

Do I remember you saying that you have reserved a specific domain for that product too with a back pain related name?  In this case you need to do the usual SEO stuff and make sure that as many of your reposts and links take traffic to that site so that it appears close as possible to top of page 1 for "back pain" without costing too much in key word advertising? Specific implementation is beyond my skillset.

+1 to various reddit relevant forums but not as overt advertising rather by engagement in relevant threads, although this is perhaps not opening up totally new audiences.  For that perhaps see if you can get eg Pain Science Paul Ingraham to review it and link, he has a large following related to those sort of keywords.  Or target other "typical" groups who suffer back pain eg via MumsNet etc but probably arent or dedicated "movement" reddit forums.

• Like 1

Kit, your work is highly valued among some communities on Reddit; if you manage to establish a presence there which doesn't consist only in advertising, you'll help lots of people and increase your followers. Twitter could also be an option, but only if you're comfortable with social media.

Something a bit off-topic (but not so much): I think you could be a interesting host for some thoughtful podcasts I know of, those could also help with with the spread of ST philosophy. Let me know if you're interested. =)

• Like 1

Hey Kit,

Lots of good ideas here, but I feel like many of them will simply result in preaching to the choir, so to speak. I agree with those suggesting you reach out to new podcasts and websites/communities that cater to a different audience than your usual. I also feel like Facebook may be one of your best tools, simply because I think many of the people that will need this program are not out there listening to these kinds of podcasts or participating on forums, but are simply "normal" people in pain but not really actively searching for the solution, and Facebook is simply where the most people are and thus can be reached. Posting to relevant communities on Facebook and getting shared enough will result in reaching many people that podcasts, etc. will never reach. Of course doing relevant podcasts/interviews, etc. and having those shared on FB will contribute to this.

All of that said, I'm one of your usual audience, so I can't really offer specific podcast or group suggestions. A quick search for "back pain" on FB brings up a "Back Pain & Sciatica Sufferer Support" group with over 16,000 members. It is private and advertising is not allowed, but perhaps you could contact one of the group admins for suggestions on how to best reach their members.

• Like 2

@ Phi, who wrote:

Just posting the info will net you plenty of visibility on /r/bodyweightfitness at least.

How does one do that without looking like a bit of naked advertising? Or, a better formed wuesiton, possible, is where do I post this, a notice of the availability of the program?

It is the first of three; the next two are Beyond back pain (thanks to our Fred for the title) and Bulletproof back

And I am happy to do a second AMA, on this subject.

@ SwissDanny, who wrote:

Do I remember you saying that you have reserved a specific domain for that product too with a back pain related name? 

Yes: overcomebackpain.info. We have all the other relevant dot info names, too.

@ markusO: yes, please; we have only the smallest presence there, but if you have any idea about how this could be done, please email me.

@ jaja: yes, please. Last week I did a 1:45 podcast with Sean Mapoles; it might have overwhelmed him – I have not heard anything since!

And @ Nathan: agree about preaching to the choir, and I do want to reach out well beyond the usual audience. Contacting that support group is an excellent idea. Would you care to assist :) ? If you find someone to talk to, I will do the rest. Same goes for any other suggestions here. I want this program to get real traction; it really is 30 year's of experience in this area, condensed. 

@ jaja: yes, please. Last week I did a 1:45 podcast with Sean Mapoles; it might have overwhelmed him – I have not heard anything since!

Are you familiar with Buddhist Geeks? The founder, Vincent Horn, is interested in the relationship between mind and body, so I think he could find fascinating the concepts behind ST; of course the main topic of the podcast is meditation, but you're a teacher and also a Buddhist, am I right? I'm part of their “virtual sangha”, so I think I could make you in contact with Vincent, if you're interested.

The second podcast I have in mind is MeaningOfLifeTV, a really interesting project by Robert Wright. I don't think there's anything similar on the Internet and it could be the right place not only to engage in mind-blowing conversations, but also to promote ST. Unfortunately I don't have direct connections with Wright, but it shouldn't be too hard to contact him.

Let me know what you think.

Getting overcomebackpain.info onto the first page of a google search for "back pain" definitely needs to be a focus if you are going to have a pull strategy (ie people come and find you) versus push strategy (ie you find people).

Somewhat ironically, this piece gives some insight on what is required to achieve that http://www.rebeccacoleman.ca/2016/01/04/blogging/seo-in-2016/

Danny

Hi Kit, something popular with permaculture e books is setting up affiliate links.

So basically, someone has a link which they promote your product with. If someone buys your product through that link, the promoter gets a share, usually 20 percent. So on a $10 product you get $8 and they get $2.

this works for them because they get paid for promoting your product.

it works for you because it's passive advertising, reaching an audience that might not have been accessible without the promoter.

@ SD: wrote to Paul Ingraham today

@ jaja: yes, familiar with Buddhist Geeks; but decided was not for me (practising is a better use of my time). The workshops I co-present with Patrick in Malaysia (SBS) and in Govinda Valley explore the first Satipatthana (the body) as a foundation of mindfulness, but my impression of BK is that the theoretical perspective is the most interesting to them. My How to sit for meditation VOD (two whole bucks) might be more useful than the new OBP program. Nonetheless, and contacts you make will be helpful. Email me if you want to explore this.

@ Brett: can you PM me for my email so we can explore the 'how-to' details; excellent idea.

Anyone know how to contact Dr Mercola?

Keep 'em coming, please! 

Kit: Mercola throws off all kinds of red flags in my mind, and I have a feeling I'm not alone. (I used to follow him many years ago, but not anymore.) He's kind of like the internet version of Dr. Oz. That said, he does cater to a much different audience than your usual, so it could be worth exploring. But there is the small chance that the simple association with him could turn away other potential customers.

• Like 1

Hi Kit,

today I wrote an email to Jürgen Reis who is a pro-climber from Austria and runs the biggest climbing and gymnastics podcast in Europe

www.power-quest.cc

https://itunes.apple.com/de/podcast/power-quest.cc-der-kraftsport/id286359611?mt=2

He replied that he has an almost full schedule for 2016 but he would be very happy if you get in contact with him.

His mail-contact is: info@juergenreis.at 

Yours,

Markus

P.S.: Really looking Forward the release of your upcoming programs

• Like 2

The first program in the series, Overcome back pain, is basic; I would have thought that it will not be of much interest to members here – but perhaps this is not accurate.

I spent yesterday annotating the 14 comprising exercises (there are an additional three follow-along programs too, two around 15', and one around 24). In annotating the descriptions, I realised that, if you put them all together, it's a very condensed version of my book, Overcome neck & back pain

On that note, I have decided that I will substantially revise the entire text of ONBP, later this year; I spent some time looking at it with Dr Beck's help (thanks Fred!), and it needs a complete revision. However, books take a lower priority these days, in line with my perception of how the public (if we can talk about everyone like this) consumes information these days.

And the way VOD is set up, if I want to add additional material to the program, I can, and when someone who has bought the program revisits, they get to download the additional material free. We will see; there are always a few hiccups. 

Miss O is building a new page for this program, too. On that note, if any of you are thinking about using Vimeo on Demand for your own work, be aware that the VOD part of Vimeo is less flexible than the main, free part. Specifically, we were informed yesterday that Channels and Collections (way of grouping programs) only work for free material.

This is why we have decided to make new entry pages for all the groups of VOD programs on our site – that way any visitor will see what fits their needs/interests. At present, when people go to http://vimeo.com/kitlaughlin/vod_pages/, the only way of working out what is being shown is the colour coding and by reading the descriptions of the programs that are embedded in the sections containing the programs. Not user-friendly, for me. 

And @ Nathan: I hear you on Dr Mercola. Please keep the ideas coming folks; there's no hurry – both Miss O and I want to get the release of this next one right.

I'm completely useless at advertising, so you can discount what I say at the start if you wish. As a naiive person, I would look on Amazon to see what is there. I did - in Books there were many tens of thousands of entries under "back pain". However with a search for "neck and back pain", ONBP came up 3rd on the list. The many entries under back pain are depressing - there are so many, either because they are repeating the same stuff, or because all or most of them dont work.

However I did see that there is something called Amazon video - that has many fewer entries, even with the more general search term "back pain". If what you are producing is a video, maybe it would fit here - apparently it is a VOD service. Not because the financial return per customer would be high, but because of the potentially wide reach (and as a potential lead-in to your own site).

Signed by someone who has hardly ever got a new student by his own advertising.

Jim.

• Like 1

@ Markus K: i definitely will do this when we publish, some time next week. Thanks everyone; please keep the ideas coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kit,

Just a quick update. My idea did not go over so well. I contacted a couple of admins of the largest Facebook groups. I received a surprisingly hostile response from the only one that didn't ignore my message. (I made it very clear that I was acting on my own and that this was not about offering any magic cure.) It seems that these groups are dedicated to emotional support and want nothing to do with any kind of potential solution/product. Of course that is understandable. I will see if perhaps there is a more fitting group out there.

• Like 1

Hi, Kit,

a lot of paleo/ primal people are into natural movements (like Pakour, MoveNat, ketltle bell, barefoot running)

also for some, those systems may be too rigorous & some still suffer chronic pain.

maybe you can try a guest post or pod cast;

Todd Grove, Mark Sisson, Perfect Health Diet ---> these are the blogs that i read. surely there're many others

(Dr Jaminett of PHD is a very nice gentleman & open to new ideas; his approach is more for health (rather than fitnessand or performance)

then maybe if you can be invited to be a guest instructor of Primal Con or Perfect Health Retreat, in US, i'll sign up ! :)