Nathan's Nook

Didn't mention it before, but I started doing 1LDL on my light LB days after @SwissDanny mentioned them. Started out super light/high reps with a 7.5kg plate (I think) and had some major glute/ham soreness the following days :lol: Obviously the light weight allowed me to really focus on isolating those muscles in a way that I don't usually do. So I've kept that in, slowly increasing the weight each session. Did 20kg today. Don't get the same soreness as I did after that first session, but that's to be expected!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Took a week and a few days off to see if I would come back with higher motivation. It helped a bit, but I think the problem is that I don't really have any goals (that I'm excited about) at the moment, so there's nothing in my sessions that really gets me excited to attempt. I think I need to readjust my program to focus on maintenance and then reevaluate my course. It's probably time to push into a slightly different direction (more yin, perhaps) for a while.

Did a heavy LB (DL) session on Monday. Worked up to 115kg (instead of 120kg) and used that for working sets of CDL since I'd taken a break. Went lighter on SLDL too and that left me with some really nice DOMS in the hams, which is not usual. Probably has to do with the time off too, but I think going lighter lets me focus more on the proper muscles.

LB maintenance will probably be some low-rep, heavy CDL and some medium-rep, light 1LDL and SLDL. For UB maintenance, I'm thinking OAC negatives, a few sets of HSPU, and maybe some kind of FL work. Probably some kind of support work too. Will play around in my next UB session and see.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Nathan said:

I think I need to readjust my program to focus on maintenance and then reevaluate my course. It's probably time to push into a slightly different direction (more yin, perhaps) for a while.

Sound approach. Often times tinkering with a routine that has become no longer appropriate for whatever reason is just prolonging the frustration. Goals help too for sure, Im training with new vigour now I have some benchmarks Im shooting for.

• Like 1
On 2017/12/6 at 10:03 PM, SwissDanny said:

Sound approach. Often times tinkering with a routine that has become no longer appropriate for whatever reason is just prolonging the frustration. Goals help too for sure, Im training with new vigour now I have some benchmarks Im shooting for.

Totally agreed on all points! I've been "prolonging the frustration" for a while now :lol: Not actually frustration, but just not motivated to do more than go through the motions with my current program. I'm very goal-driven, so benchmarks to push for definitely work for me too. Just have to figure out a few that will get me excited right now :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 2:37 PM, Nathan said:

Obviously the light weight allowed me to really focus on isolating those muscles in a way that I don't usually do.

It's much more than this: the 3D stabilisation that is necessary "just" to balance and do the movement without falling over is what's happening here, and what's causing the soreness. While I do like whole body movements like the RDL and front squat, the unilateral movements have unique challenges, the overcoming of which always plays back positively into the original bilateral version. 

How many times have to seen lifters in the gym who can squat 2 x bodyweight for reps, and can't do one single leg squat? It is common.

• Like 1

I think I've pretty much settled on my LB maintenance/unmotivated session. After a small warm up, I start out with 2 sets of light, med/high-rep 1LDL (currently 20kg@2x15), then I work up to 3x3 of a heavy-ish conventional DL (110-120kg, depending on how I feel), and finish off with 3x5 of a med/light-ish straight-legged DL (currently 85kg). The 1LDL wakes up all the right muscles, the CDL gives me some intensity, and the SLDL is a nice finisher that lets me focus back on the hams/glutes.

Currently doing this once per week. Still haven't added in the UB session. I may need to combine the two and just get everything done in one session, but I don't think I want a long session right now. But DL does give the UB a bit of work too, so I'm really not too worried at the moment.

@Kit_L: For sure! I think the lighter weight allows me to keep (more of) the load on those muscles without my more dominant "helpers" kicking in and taking over, but I know it's definitely more than that. In general, I tend to go for unilateral movements for their many benefits.

• Like 1

Just finished my last lazy lower body (and last any) workout of 2017 B) Heading back tomorrow morning to spend the New Years holiday (an important one in Japan) with the in-laws, and will be staying with them for about a week and a half. Will be Kenji's first time meeting grandma (grandpa already came to visit), and first time going on a long road trip/being away from home for more than a few hours. Should be fun! :lol:

Hope everyone has a great end of the year and starts 2018 off strong! :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all! A bit late, but happy New Year! The holiday was good. Nice and relaxing. Got back Monday evening, and spent yesterday getting settled back in. Did my first lower body session of 2018 today. Took it easy since I had nearly two weeks off. Solid workout, regardless. Traps were screaming during deadlifts :lol:

On a related note, I weighed myself for the first time in a long time just before heading out for the holidays, and I was around 8kg down from where I'd been sitting for a while the last time I'd checked. I've pretty much dropped creatine lately, so that probably accounts for some of it, but I was still a bit surprised.

Going to try to spend some time soon re-evaluating goals and adjusting my practices accordingly. I think I will probably shift my focus to sitting/lying relaxation/meditation and stretching for a while. Will probably work out some kind of minimalistic maintenance sessions for strength with a focus on quality of execution. May even just switch to exploratory sessions with the goal of challenging myself while playing with different movements and patterns for a set period of time. I've never tried something like that, so it could be interesting!

• Like 1

Just finished my LB session. Nice intensity. Felt pretty good overall.

Had started slacking with lying relaxation recently, so I went back to using Kit's recordings and doing it properly over the past few nights. Have found myself sleeping deeper and longer, which is nice. That's not the only thing that has changed, but I'm sure it has something to do with it! Was also slacking with nightly baby whale work, which I have added back in as well. Despite slacking for a while, I have been able to "pick up where I left off" for the most part, which is nice.

Now I just need to work a regular stretching practice back in. Considering trying out Emmet's new ballistic pancake protocol that he put up on YouTube recently to see how my body reacts. I may be lazy, but I'm still a masochist, it seems :lol:

52 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Considering trying out Emmet's new ballistic pancake protocol that he put up on YouTube recently

Please share here; I did not get that notification, and I'd like to see how different it is to the standing/bolster one I am using at the moment.

@Kit_L This is the video:

It's basically just pulsing at several different angles with an additional focus on end-closing in the hip flexors. It could probably be combined with your HF pre-exhaustion and sumo DL for some interesting effects! By the way, will you be posting the full version of the IG video on YT or Vimeo? I'm guessing you will since the IG video seemed to be broken up, so I'm looking forward to that!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Nathan said:

It could probably be combined with your HF pre-exhaustion

That particular idea is from @Emmet Louis!

BTW, @oliviaa invented "SledgeHammer" stretching (politely known as "Pre-exhaustion stretching") over 15 years ago; we will definitely be making a program on this! Thanks for posting the Emmet tutorial, too.

Edited by Kit_L
  • Like 1

I should have added: we will be making Mastery Series follow-along programs; these will not be limited to any time length but will be long enough to do the job! These will include Pancake,  Partial Pancake Progressions (what I am working on presently, along with SS), Pike, Front Splits and Side Splits.

ABBS is first, because this has the largest potential audience. Assuming we siege this, the others will follow quickly; this is because we are putting a number of systems in place for ABBS that all the others can launch from. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

@Kit_L Excellent! And yes, ABBS first makes complete sense. While much of the Master target audience would love to have follow-along programs, it is the absolute beginners that need them. And building a foundation in the process that will make launching other programs easy is certainly a nice side benefit!

Still haven't completely fleshed out what I will be doing for my UB sessions, but if I were advising someone else in a case like this, I'd probably say something like, "what you do isn't nearly as important as getting started, so just pick something and do it." So I decided to take my own advice :lol: 

Did a real simple session with my usual warm up movements, followed by a couple skin the cats, and then scap work in all planes: scap push ups and rows, pull ups and handstand push ups. I also added in scap work in the "fish" (reverse plank) bodyline position. It feels a bit different than all of the other usual positions, so I figured why not! I finished with a few lightly weighted Cuban rotations.

I did a period of scap-focused sessions previously and I felt that it was beneficial, so I think it could be a good way to work my way back into full UB sessions. As for the full sessions, I'm considering: rings turned-out support (great for elbow/shoulder health), manna wall slides (hit generally under-worked musculature and I just enjoy them), skin the cats, a couple sets each of ring push ups, ring dips (with lean), and handstand push ups (six total sets of pushing), and three sets each of one-arm chin up work (negatives?) and front lever work (invert to hang negatives or front lever rows) (six total sets of pulling). It sounds like a lot considering I've referred to it as a minimalistic session, but it's a fairly small volume of work and it hits all the important push and pull planes.

For now, I'm going to continue with the scap movements and work up to the full session, though, so we'll see how it goes!

On January 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM, Nathan said:

This is the video:

I really like Tom Merrick's videos and glad to see others find value in his distilling and consolidating of certain poses/approaches from Emmett, Kit and others he's found. Thanks for posting this! (Alright this is your workout log not mine, hopefully I'm not violating an unspoken rule LOL).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mytype1collagenis2tight said:

(Alright this is your workout log not mine, hopefully I'm not violating an unspoken rule LOL).

Not at all! Interaction in work logs is a big part of what makes sharing them valuable! :D

LB session today. Pretty much the same, but I increased the one-legged deadlifts to 25kg and did 2x10. Will gradually increase to 2x15 and then bump it up 5kg again. 115kg still feeling pretty heavy on the conventional working sets, but no big deal!

Have been listening to some of the lying relaxation scripts that were released during the time that I was not using audio. The 2016 BUBS recordings are interesting. I actually really liked that the little Q&A session was caught on the recording prior to the practice, although it means fast forwarding if you're going to reuse the recording. I also liked the slower pace of the one I listened to last night. The Govinda Valley recordings are still my favorite, but it's interesting using a wide variety of recordings.

• Like 1

Scap-centric UB session again today. Skin the cats last time left an inauspicious sensation in the right bicep area, probably because I jumped right back in after not doing them (or any UB work) for quite some time. The sensation is one I am very familiar with, although I don't know the exact cause. I decided to skip the movement today and will play with it again after I've completed several more UB sessions and incorporated a wider variety of movements.

Work is going to get very busy once again over the next month or so :rolleyes: Might need to increase my relaxation practices :lol:

• Like 1

LB session today. Slowly increasing the one-legged deadlift reps. 115kg finally felt pretty comfortable today, and I was hitting my target reps, so I threw on an extra working set there and dropped the following stiff-legged deadlifts down to 2 sets. I think I like that, so I'm going to keep it next time.

Also, to update regarding the right bicep, it hasn't bothered me over the past few days, so I'm pretty sure the skin the cats were indeed the culprit. Will return to them much more slowly, as mentioned previously.

Nightly lying relaxation continues!

• Like 1

Got a bit off schedule. Did my UB session today (Monday). Stuck with the scap focus, but did the full movements this time (instead of scap-only movement). So rounds of push ups/rows/pull ups/headstand push ups/fish bodyline. Two rounds was enough for today. Finished off with some Cuban rotations. Will do LB on Wed or Fri, depending on how I feel later in the week!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...