What physical infrastructure does a venue need to have for Stretch Therapy?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kit_L

Kit_L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationTwo suitcases and latest MBA

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hello all,

I want to assemble a "check list" for hosts. In brief, the Stretch Therapist and Stretch Teacher workshops have the same basic needs, and the Monkey Gym ones need more; I will make a separate entry for these.

To begin, the area: about 2 square metres per attendee is a good minimum. Smaller than this, and the workshops begin to feel like a Bikram 'hot yoga' class!

toilet(s)

We have worked in many kinds of facilities; one of the advantages of working in a Yoga or Pilates studio is that very useful props are to hand. This includes:

bolsters/blankets (one bolster per pair of attendees, minimum), and ask each attendees to bring a blanket; bolsters and blankets need to be thick enough to support a person's hip in the advanced piriformis stretch.

benches or Reformers (we use these for many exercises, particularly the variations)

chairs (one per attendee; these are essential for the Stretch Therapist workshop, in part two, where we emphasise the upper back and neck exercises)

sticks (we use a variety of lengths and thicknesses); and we use them in various ways, from putting in between the hamstring and calf muscles in a fascia rolling technique, to using shorter sticks as fascial stripping tools, to alignment cueing, to rotator cuff exercises, and much more besides; you get the idea. You need one sick per person, and a variety of lengths.

balls are very useful too, and again, various sizes and diameters. We like using the ones that can be inflated/deflated easily, and the Yamuna ones are the best, in my experience.

Tea/coffee making facilities. All hosts have different ways of doing this; Cristina Ferri, in Piacenza, engages a local barista who brings his own equipment (a pod-style single group head coffee machine, and delicious pastries!); Robin Truxel in the US hired a five-station coffee drip filter setup, and she provided nuts, fruit, and other nibblies. Basically, you need a hot water point, and things for hungry attendees to eat.

Tim Tams are required for Australian workshops!

Attached Files

#2 Jade & Nolan

Jade & Nolan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Locationthe beautiful Alicante, Spain

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

Once again, very necessary information.  may have to ship in the Tim Tams, and some of Mina's favourite 'Nolan's Cheddar' (don't ask!)

#3 Kit_L

Kit_L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationTwo suitcases and latest MBA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

To the above suggestions, I will add "slidey things": in Canada once, I made these from plastic barbecue plates and kid's flotation supports: the plates are used as a template to cut the floater, and then the polystyrene closed cell foam was glued into the plate. Making 20 of these only cost about $40, from memory: go to a Clint's ("dollar store", in Canada and the U.S.) to source these.

VoilĂ : cheap effective devices for supporting the back leg's knee in hamstring stretches (or the front heel, in the alternative version) that will slide on carpet or on wood very smoothly.

There are commercial ones (I tried a search on 'stretching sliders' but could not find the one I was thinking of; if someone here know, would you please post a link).

As well, for Monkey Gym workshops we need rubber bands (see HERE for one type); these are used for chin-ups and single-leg squats—everyone was doing these on the recent Vancouver workshop.

Off to Coach Sommer's workshop now; will post later.

#4 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

Hello all,

At Allyson Moody's suggestion, I have amended the first post, above, on the equipment side. If any of you need clarification on what's written above, please just ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users